Monday's Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Well I think the days of finding a calf under 100.00 is over. They all started at a hundred a head and went up from there. Top cows were selling higher. Some poor ol starving things they had to give away. Even 4-6 yr old light weight cows were selling for 300-400 a head.They did have a few very nice brahma cross cows with calves that brought 750 a pair. That's cheap
I took 12 head to be sold and I was happy with what we got.
P1130314.jpg

I sold these 2 black steers the one to the right weighed 550 lbs.@ .81 the one in the front 325 lbs.@ 1.07. I didn't think that was to bad. My little baldy brought 132.50 weighed 185. On the paints I got .80-.89 a lb that's good considering there was alot of longhorns there. They were selling for .30-.38 a lb.
Overall the prices are going up.

Sounds like you got some decent prices for your animals.

It does seem, for now anyhow, that what we are getting is a little better than it has been in recent months. I'm glad I hauled mine last weekend. I may be hauling another in a week or so.

Katherine

Joy of Texas":1quqon8v said:
They did have a few very nice brahma cross cows with calves that brought 750 a pair. That's cheap
Yep, I'll have to be happy if I can get that for the ones I'll be selling today. Knew I should have taken that for them 6 months ago without the calf. Instead I spent $200 to feed them hoping it would surely start to rain. Being optimistic cost me this time.

Being pessimistic will probably cost me too when I sell a bunch more.

How did your hay purchase turn out. Good I hope.

your calves did real good at the sale barn.i know you liked getting that nice paycheck.

I took a 165lb heifer calf to the sale at Florence, AL Monday. The calf's mother was a nice commercial angus cow that died the day before(that's a whole nother story). The father was a son of Mytty in Focus. The calf was the keeping kind but I chose not to go to the trouble and expense to raise it for a replacement. A young lady paid $190 for her. I gave her the history on the calf. She bought most all the calves there Monday that were <300#. I also sold an angusXbrangus bull calf that probably weighed 700#. He was too young to go with an earlier group sold early fall. Don't know what he brought, I left before he sold.

pairs are cheap. somebody must know something i dont know, as usual.

Wednesday's Sale Barn

3 - 6 year old bred brangus cows 5, 6 and 8 months bred averaged $560. Weight average 1340. (Thought they would do a little better than this.)

1 - 6 year old bred braford cow 7 months bred weighing 1275 brought $475. (Really a disappointment. I though she would be a hot item.)

1 - 2 year old first calf brangus, 3 month old black baldie calf, weighing 980 lbs together brought $850. (Real nice surprise)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, month old calves, weighing 1345 brought $825 each. (Better than expected.)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, split with one month old calve and one 2 month old calf. Cows average weight 1035 brought 42 cents ($435). The month old calve weighing 165 brought 1.525 per pound ($251.63) and the 2 month old weighing 225 brought 1.03 per pound ($231.75). Averaged together as pairs they brought $679.69. (Not as good as the others. Basic flaw was their bags, they started to blow last year. Didn't look to bad this year but this was expected. Calves brought more than I had expected.)

Then 2 poorly cows. Neither seemed to be able to gain weight after their last calf. One raised a good calf and should have another in a month or so. The other didn't do so well with her last one and got one more shot. She had a calf last week, a little tiny thing that bought her a trailer ride today. They each weighed 945 lbs and brought 36 1/2 cents.

Gave the little black baldie calf to a neighbor that has some nurse cows. Calf probably weighed about 55 lbs. Spunky little thing, you ladies probably would have loved him and though he was cute. :pretty: :kid:

2 black steers averaged 400 lbs brought 95 1/2 cents.
1 angus heifer weighed 435 lbs brought 75 cents.

Some were a disappointment and some were better than expected. Overall they did better than my worst case scenario.

Looks like, for now, pairs are doing pretty well. Just about any thing less than 7 months bred goes to slaughter. Heavy breds would probably make some money in a month or two.

Beefy":2mip8fo6 said:
pairs are cheap. somebody must know something i don't know, as usual.

I think a lot of small operators are selling out or cleaning up. They may not keep good records but they know there isn't any cash in the check book with today' prices.

I spoke with an old timer about the "cheap cows" I bought late last year. He said my thinking was wrong (as usual) :dunce: and that cheap cows are not the important thing to focus on since the profit is usually in selling replacements. Sounds like I should have been buying heifer calves...

We are doing 2008 taxes and 2009 budgets here. I will let you know when I figure out out where the big money is. :banana:

I think it is wise to buy cows now. There ain't no money in selling cows or replacements right now but there sure will be once the cattle cycle starts to climb so I think a build up now is good.

Stocker Steve":at6hcyol said:
Sounds like I should have been buying heifer calves...

I fear to many of us did exactly that last summer. Much is going to depend on how the market goes, if we ever get rain etc.

I was at the sale barn Tuesday, saw a lot of very poor looking cattle go through. Would be easy to guess no rain, no hay, high feed costs. I agree with the idea that with rain the market for replacements will go up rapidly, but the window for that rain to come and make a difference is closing rapidly.

After the regular sale they had the Junior Livestock sale. I bought 2 Braford 1st calf heifers with the calves from Angus bulls. One calf was 2 weeks old bull, now is a steer. The other was a 3 day old heifer. Of course I paid more than I would have in the "real world" but the smile and the hug from the young lady who sold them made the price worthwhile.

backhoeboogie":mbfu702l said:
Stocker Steve":mbfu702l said:

I fear to many of us did exactly that last summer. Much is going to depend on how the market goes, if we ever get rain etc.

I have been trying to to understand the gross margin for stockers, replacements, and cow/calf operations. I still need to update my pasture costs, but basicly the stocker and replacement margins look about the same (makes sense unless you have some really fancy seed stock) and cow/calf margin looks much lower (due to overwintering input costs) unless you have a lot of crop residue...

Stocker Steve":2vdoomf0 said:
backhoeboogie":2vdoomf0 said:
Stocker Steve":2vdoomf0 said:

I have been trying to to understand the gross margin for stockers, replacements, and cow/calf operations. I still need to update my pasture costs, but basicly the stocker and replacement margins look about the same (makes sense unless you have some really fancy seed stock) and cow/calf margin looks much lower (due to overwintering input costs) unless you have a lot of crop residue...

Heavy heifers and steers were high. Lightweights were cheap. It was all upside down from the traditional sale prices at the sale barn. I took a bunch of the lightweight heifers and figured if they didn't make a profit off of the grass I had, I could make cows out of them until the market got right. Some will go. Others may go as breds and still others as pairs. Some will be retained to increase my numbers.

That is what got me where I am.

sell /replace for a proffit

market up/market down makes no diff

there thowing money at you in this market if you know what to look for

I think, Anybody that wants to invest in cattle now should go the bred cow route.

Buy 1 stage run on grass sell when in 3rd.
As long as you sell before hay feeding.

At the barns i go to cows are worth more when in the 3rd stage than at any other time.
Yes more than pairs with small calves.

I know a man around here that buys o's (cows aged old)in 1st stage,runs them on stock piled grass sells cows when in 3rd stage. feeds no hay because he sells in time for grass to regrow in fall.
He must be making a profit because he's been doing this for longer than i can remember.
Some people forget to make a profit so they name the cows and keep them forever.
I was told one time if you have a cow thats not for sale go ahead and shoot her get it over with and put something in her place that will make a profit. :cboy:

Stocker Steve":94w92pbe said:
Beefy":94w92pbe said:
pairs are cheap. somebody must know something i don't know, as usual.

I think a lot of small operators are selling out or cleaning up. They may not keep good records but they know there isn't any cash in the check book with today' prices.

I spoke with an old timer about the "cheap cows" I bought late last year. He said my thinking was wrong (as usual) :dunce: and that cheap cows are not the important thing to focus on since the profit is usually in selling replacements. Sounds like I should have been buying heifer calves...

We are doing 2008 taxes and 2009 budgets here. I will let you know when I figure out out where the big money is. :banana:
Well I bought the replacements and of course paid to much & have been worried that when the grass greens up I wont be able to sell them for enough. Have been thinking I should have gone the thins, breeds & cheep as I have plenty of crop stalks to graze them on but then again what do I know. At least I figured out I can put weight on in the winter on ground that is just setting.

mnmtranching":4jw3khhy said:
I think, Anybody that wants to invest in cattle now should go the bred cow route.
Exactly, bred is the only way to go for now. I know this one wheeler -dealer that has bought several hundred head of bred cows. Didn't matter to him the age or body condition.This man has land to put them on and plenty of hay. He does not feed any type of feed. That's it until it rains. If and when it does rain this guy will make alot of money.

1982vett":2wcjcyaz said:
Wednesday's Sale Barn

3 - 6 year old bred brangus cows 5, 6 and 8 months bred averaged $560. Weight average 1340. (Thought they would do a little better than this.)

1 - 6 year old bred braford cow 7 months bred weighing 1275 brought $475. (Really a disappointment. I though she would be a hot item.)

1 - 2 year old first calf brangus, 3 month old black baldie calf, weighing 980 lbs together brought $850. (Real nice surprise)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, month old calves, weighing 1345 brought $825 each. (Better than expected.)

2 - 8 year old braford pairs, split with one month old calve and one 2 month old calf. Cows average weight 1035 brought 42 cents ($435). The month old calve weighing 165 brought 1.525 per pound ($251.63) and the 2 month old weighing 225 brought 1.03 per pound ($231.75). Averaged together as pairs they brought $679.69. (Not as good as the others. Basic flaw was their bags, they started to blow last year. Didn't look to bad this year but this was expected. Calves brought more than I had expected.)

Then 2 poorly cows. Neither seemed to be able to gain weight after their last calf. One raised a good calf and should have another in a month or so. The other didn't do so well with her last one and got one more shot. She had a calf last week, a little tiny thing that bought her a trailer ride today. They each weighed 945 lbs and brought 36 1/2 cents.

Gave the little black baldie calf to a neighbor that has some nurse cows. Calf probably weighed about 55 lbs. Spunky little thing, you ladies probably would have loved him and though he was cute. :pretty: :kid:

Some were a disappointment and some were better than expected. Overall they did better than my worst case scenario.

Looks like, for now, pairs are doing pretty well. Just about any thing less than 7 months bred goes to slaughter. Heavy breds would probably make some money in a month or two.

It is prices like that why I sell all my culls as either freezer beef or shoot the older problem cows. Last time I took a cull cow to town she brought 30 cents a pound. By the time you factor in fuel, my time, and what not it wasnt worth it. Would have just been cheaper to shoot her and bury her with the neighbors back hoe.

cowman30":1n0euebt said:
1982vett":1n0euebt said:
Wednesday's Sale Barn

It is prices like that why I sell all my culls as either freezer beef or shoot the older problem cows. Last time I took a cull cow to town she brought 30 cents a pound. By the time you factor in fuel, my time, and what not it wasnt worth it. Would have just been cheaper to shoot her and bury her with the neighbors back hoe.

Cowman if you can not haul one to town for $300 you need to find another line of work! How much do you figure it costs you to sell a calf or do you shoot them in a down market :shock:

Latest posts