Mom ignorning calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

TMRwife

Reaction score
Finally had our last cow calf last night - very late. We have seen her with her calf a couple of times today, but often she is off in another area entirely leaving him by himself for long periods of time? Should we try to pen them up together or could this just be normal behavior. Our other cows seem to be better, more attentive moms than this one is being. This is her second calf.

It is very normal.......our cows leave their calves at least half the day without checking on them.....I would not be worried.........

dun":3jxckv5d said:
Make the calf beller and see how quick she gets there

Just be carefull not to spook it so it gets up and runs a mile and a half thru 5 different fences. :nod: :frowns:

TMRwife":2n55ptf1 said:
Finally had our last cow calf last night - very late. We have seen her with her calf a couple of times today, but often she is off in another area entirely leaving him by himself for long periods of time? Should we try to pen them up together or could this just be normal behavior. Our other cows seem to be better, more attentive moms than this one is being. This is her second calf.

Sounds like normal behavior to me. As long as her udder does not become overly full, and her tits aren't engorged, life is good! She will bring her calf in eventually.

TMRwife":d7dr4oyb said:
it's more normal than you know... you watch her the next time she see's you coming. she will look in the calf's direction for a split second.then turn away. ive had them try to fake me off by walking in the opposite direction, while i walk in the direction of the calf when they realise it aint working they will beat you too the calf. dont think for a second she is ignoring it, just the opposite.

ALACOWMAN":h2xgd19a said:
TMRwife":h2xgd19a said:
it's more normal than you know... you watch her the next time she see's you coming. she will look in the calf's direction for a split second.then turn away. ive had them try to fake me off by walking in the opposite direction, while i walk in the direction of the calf when they realise it aint working they will beat you too the calf. dont think for a second she is ignoring it, just the opposite.

Ours do the EXACT same thing

TMR, I think think you had a good question and got some good answers. Being she has raised a calf before and you've seen her with present calf, I believe all is well.

Latest posts