Moldy Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been finding some mold in my Alfalfa hay and was wondering if this could be harmful to my brood cows? I pick most of it out when I find it, but some with a little mold dust gets fed out.

>Are you kidding,moldy hay goes to cows, clean hay gets sold to horse people! seriously! just keep enough out that they can pick over the really rotten (wet black mulch) and eat the better stuff. Ive put out 2 yr old round bales of garbage just so the cows would break up the clumps and scatter them . the cows would eat the mouldy stuff before the would eat the good rnd bales stored inside

My neighbor, a long time rancher had told me that he didn't feed out moldy hay to his brood cows because it could cause abortions. I have never paid much attention to the black mold that forms on the outsike of the bales, that I think you are feferring to. This is white dry mold on the inside of the bales. The kind that forms a cloud of dust when you tare it apart. Thanks for your reply, but I am still concerned about feeding this stuff out to my girls.

Feed the hay to the cows. Watch them. Make sure they have sufficient hay that they can reject that which they do not want. After a while you will find they reject very little.

An easy way to tell is to feed them normally. Then within a hour after your last feeding put out some ofthe hay with the mold. Watch to see what portions they reject.

Personally I would simply feed it, and not worry.

> My neighbor, a long time rancher
> had told me that he didn't feed
> out moldy hay to his brood cows
> because it could cause abortions.
> I have never paid much attention
> to the black mold that forms on
> the outsike of the bales, that I
> think you are feferring to. This
> is white dry mold on the inside of
> the bales. The kind that forms a
> cloud of dust when you tare it
> apart. Thanks for your reply, but