Moldy feed

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
I got a whole pallet of sweet feed from a local feed store. A main ingredient was left out by mistake before bagging. Some of the feed is really moldy, but the biggest amount is ok with a slight hint of mold. We have popped holes in the bags to get some air flow. We live in AZ and we have it stored in a storage unit that is about 20-30 degrees cooler then outside. I am a little worried about feeding it but it was free. We will throw hay to the cattle that has a little mold on it once in awhile and they pick thru it. Our climate is very dry. Does any body know how much we can get away with feeding it without any issues?

Is it heating or past the heating stage? Corn based?
I would avoid feeding the worst stuff, separate if you can. If you do feed the bad stuff, do it in small amounts and spread over time.

Mold hay can cause abortions....moldy feed....I'm guessing the same response.

Ever had a slice of bread in a bag go moldy? Ever tossed it out, then eaten from the slice a little further in the bag only to realize it smells of mold? And the next day there is another slice moldy in the bag?
Mold is spores. Mold spores spread even when you can not see them for few days.

Free is one thing. BUT, it is not so free when an abortion happens, or a sick weak calf is born. Or if the cow or bull gets sick and or dies.
In this case, free is relative to the costs that come later on

If you're gonna feed 'em a mouth full of food, it might as well be a good mouth full. Nitrate poisoning is not the most pleasant way for an animal to die, beating its head against an immovable object. I would toss it out and I don't mean to them. It has cost you nothing but could cost you a cow or calf.

I never feed moldy feed. Even if I were to pay for it, it'd get tossed. I wouldn't take it for free.

Personally, I would not knowingly feed moldy feed. Hay that may have some bad spots is one thing, but moldy feed/grains is another.

As said before, the feed may be 'free' but what may result from feeding it could be very expensive.

Trash it.

Katherine

T Diamond":bke4pf8r said:
I am a little worried about feeding it but it was free.

Prior to feeding it was free. Feed it and you just might be surprised at how much that "free" feed ends up costing you. I would not even consider feeding moldy grain.

Anyone know how much the abortion rates go up from feeding feed with mold? I have done it before although I did not feed it straight but mixed with regular feed over a period of time and thus far not hadle any issues. I am not saying it is a good idea or continue to do it but would like any supported infomation that anyone could provide.

WindyHillFarm":3ib0s7ge said:
Anyone know how much the abortion rates go up from feeding feed with mold? I have done it before although I did not feed it straight but mixed with regular feed over a period of time and thus far not hadle any issues. I am not saying it is a good idea or continue to do it but would like any supported infomation that anyone could provide.

NOt scientific but...
We had a crap summer last year. Moldy hay was all we had. Out of a herd of 50, after much culling, three abortions. The abortions stopped once we borrowed a bale shedder and started shredding the hay and the mold dust got carried away by the wind...an amazing dust storm to say the least. This from a farm that averaged 0-1 abortion a year on a 100 head over 8 years

Thanks, I have about 25-30 bags that are on the verge they too were "free" I think I will put it in the feeders for the wild hogs and not put my livestock at risk I can't afford to lose any extras in this market.

Brad

Latest posts