Moldy Bread

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
When feeding bakery scraps, some or all of it is bound to become moldy before feeding. What problems can you expect with the cattle if feeding moldy bakery scraps?

why would it be mouldy? I've seen bakery waste plenty of times, don't recall any of it being mouldy. I think the idea is to use it before that occurs.

There might be no visible ill-effects, but its a risk not worth taking, especially with pregnant cattle.

Maybe a little more info would get me a more useful response. I have found a place that will sell me all the bakery scraps I can haul for $50 a load. He suggested I bring a cattle or horse trailer. A loaf of bread weighs about 1 lb 4oz and ocupies about 0.11 cu ft. My cattle trailer is 16L x 6h x 5w = 480 cuft = about 5400 lbs of bakery products. Since it will not be all nicely stacked and packed (though I could probably pack it as I loaded it) I'll estimate a 4000 lb load. That comes out to about $1.25/cwt. So the economics make real good sense at those levels. However I am concerned that it would mold with in a week and I'm not sure what risk that presents. If I got just enough on a weekly basis to feed the 10 heifers (I'll have here for another month before they rejoin the main heard 30 miles away) at say 10lbs/day/heifer * 7 days = 700lbs/week I'm now up to $7/cwt. Throw in another 150 lbs for the girls when I check on them each week and I'm at $5.88/cwt. At this price it is almost worth the extra time (3-4hr/wk), mileage (extra 50 miles), and overall hassle (loading, unrapping, inspecting, etc.) of dealing with it each week. If I could get 2 weeks worth before it got moldy I think it would be a no brainer......maybe.

Silage gets moldy all the time and cattle and pigs eat it. Large bails of hay always have some mold in them as well, especially in wet seasons. I quite often eat stuff with mold on it and it has never hurt me... Grin. I do not believe that some mold would hurt but I do not think I would feed the bread if it got excessively moldy. I also think you would not want the bread to be their only feed but I am suspicious you were already on top of that.

YES IT WILL GET MOLDY AND YES YOU CAN STILL FEED IT.

THE WRAPPER HASSLE WAS THE BIGGIE FOR ME. DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A BIG DEAL TILL YOU START DOING IT. A LOT OF BREAD TODAY IS DOUBLE WRAPPED. TWICE THE HASSLE.

i SUPPOSE YOU COLD RIG UP A CUTTING DEVICE AND DRAG THE WRAPPER ACROSS IT AND SPEED THINGS UP BUT i WOULD CUT MY ARMS OFF THAT WAY.

Cut a notch in a 2x4 and find a way to mount (glue works) a Hook utility blade in it with the hook sitting about 3/8" above the surface.

Slid the bags of bread across the 2x4 ripping the bag open.
Bread will fall out of the bag into a well placed container under the 2x4.
Toss bag in trash can sitting next to you.

I will buy bread when there is not a lot of stuff going on but it is time consuming.

Talked to the vet this afternoon and he also said some mold is ok. He said don't feed them a bunch that has over say 30% mold coverage. More important, don't feed them a bunch without mold either because it will make them bloat up big time. If I throw a bunch out the boss cows will take over and I'll end up having new boss cows after the old ones keel over from bloat. I kinda thought that might be a concern also. Thanks for ya'lls guidance.

This is what I do I don't have any hay in my barn so I place a tarp on the barn floor open the bread and let it dry scoop it up and place it in barrels or trash bags it will not mold dry.

This is a first for me . Please tell me the benefit of feeding baked goods . I'm guessing it's for protein ?

rjbovine":2twp5ow6 said:
This is a first for me . Please tell me the benefit of feeding baked goods . I'm guessing it's for protein ?
Protein, fat, fiber, energy, it taste good and in this case it's free. Hard to overfeed it. A whole loaf only weighs a pound so a small percentage of the daily diet.

Latest posts