Molasses

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I am only running 20 cow/calf this year on 135 ac. due to some economic reason's. Even though I am in Central Fl. we get a hard frost usually early in November which kills my Bahia grass. I go to bought hay around December and usually supplement with molasses. Do you think molasses is necessary? Alot of the old timers who I respect say no it is not. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't. Just feed minerals, hay and kelp. They are all fat and happy. You get sugar and minerals from molasses, I guess I'm not giving them any candy.

The reason why the sea tasts salty is because it is full of minerals. Minerals that have washed off land and into the sea over eons.

If you live anywhere near salt water take 5 gallons of sea water mix it with 50 gallons of fresh water and spray it on your fields. Then next summer see if the pasture that had it applied doesn't look better then pasture that was not sprayed. Then pasture your cattle so 1/2 of the pasture got the sea water application and 1/2 did not and then see what they eat first.

Actually kelp is not sweet but it has a lot of trace minerals and it is very good for your cattle. You don't have to feed them Kelp all the time but a bag mixed in with your mineral at a rate of 50/50 every few months sure can't hurt.

Richardin52":3hvcxlrx said:
The reason why the sea tasts salty is because it is full of minerals. Minerals that have washed off land and into the sea over eons.

If you live anywhere near salt water take 5 gallons of sea water mix it with 50 gallons of fresh water and spray it on your fields. Then next summer see if the pasture that had it applied doesn't look better then pasture that was not sprayed. Then pasture your cattle so 1/2 of the pasture got the sea water application and 1/2 did not and then see what they eat first.

Actually kelp is not sweet but it has a lot of trace minerals and it is very good for your cattle. You don't have to feed them Kelp all the time but a bag mixed in with your mineral at a rate of 50/50 every few months sure can't hurt.
Miniscule amounts, iodine, being one that has a measurable amount. Very expensive as well for what you're getting out of it.

I've seen times when Bolivar Pennsula beach was covered in several ft of seaweed--considered taking a pitchfork with me and bringing back a pickup truck load to spread out in my garden, but wasn't sure if the Galvez Couty would allow it. They just bring in a FIL and push it all up to the high side of the beach so the beach rats and bikini bunch can have a nice clean beach each day. It ought to make good fertilizer tho.

Don't know where your getting your information from but don't be too quick to dismiss something until you have tried it. My cattle respond very well to kelp.

Any plant can only take up what is avaiable to it in the soil and water. If a plant is grown in soil lacking in a particular mineral it also will be lacking. Kelp grows in an environment rich with both major minerals and trace minerals and takes up many of them.

I did a quick search and found this on the web;
"An excellent general mineral supplement. Kelp is well known as an excellent source of most of the important trace minerals. There are few such sources anywhere on earth. Besides the well-known trace elements such as copper, zinc, manganese, chromium and others, kelp supplies many of the ultra-trace minerals such as germanium, iridium, rubidium and others of which we know much less. However, they may be very important for health, especially today when the food and the soils have become very depleted.

Kelp versus other mineral supplements. Kelp is rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, with some zinc and selenium, but low in copper. This is quite a good blend of minerals and the main reason why we prefer kelp to other "mineral supplements", that are sold. Other mineral supplements that are available either do not contain the ultra-trace minerals or they contain many more toxic metals without containing substances to counteract or bind and remove the toxins."

Look, I don't care if you use kelp or not but please do not mislead other people on this site making statements like "Miniscule amounts, Very expensive for what you get" I'm not saying to feed large amounts of kelp. I am saying it is a very good idea make it part of your feeding program. I have seen good results from using kelp.

Richardin52":3e8h7gje said:
Look, I don't care if you use kelp or not but please do not mislead other people on this site making statements like "Miniscule amounts, Very expensive for what you get" I'm not saying to feed large amounts of kelp. I am saying it is a very good idea make it part of your feeding program. I have seen good results from using kelp.

Not misleading anyone. Only pointing out that of all the various minerals, amino acids, vitamins, etc. shown to be in kelp meal the measure of each is so low as to be of no real benefit to anything, calcium being the exception and calcium is dirt cheap. Please don't let some snake oil salesman convince you that kelp meal will meet the dietary mineral needs of your cattle. Spinach would do a better job. And at $40 a bag it certainly does replace a well balanced commercial mineral (including organic minerals) which comes in at $30 per bag and contains the trace minerals thousand of times higher than the small amounts in kelp meal. But if it makes you feel good then feed it. ;-)

The molasses tubs contain protein and encourage the cattle to eat the unpalatable dry/dead grasses, shrubs and palmetto tips- thus increasing their intake through the winter. A few folks feed tubs year round, but winter is probably the only time its really necessary, or at least highly beneficial... correct me if you think thats wrong. Winter is the only time we do the tubs anyway.

Central Fl Cracker":qdjrzul6 said:
I am only running 20 cow/calf this year on 135 ac. due to some economic reason's. Even though I am in Central Fl. we get a hard frost usually early in November which kills my Bahia grass. I go to bought hay around December and usually supplement with molasses. Do you think molasses is necessary? Alot of the old timers who I respect say no it is not. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

It all depends on the quality of your hay. If cows are dry then you only need 8-9% CP hay to maintain, higher if you need to gain condition. If they are lactating then you will need 10-12% CP. If your hay is of lesser quality than what your cows need then supplement. Otherwise it is not needed.

Good point about the hay, however with 20 cows on 135 acres, you might not even need to feed hay. we have about the same # of cows/acres and just do molasses tubs to help em eat all the unpalatable forage hanging around. tubs and low stocking rate is cheaper than buying hay.

brihop":8irqtpbp said:
Good point about the hay, however with 20 cows on 135 acres, you might not even need to feed hay. we have about the same # of cows/acres and just do molasses tubs to help em eat all the unpalatable forage hanging around. tubs and low stocking rate is cheaper than buying hay.

thats true ....but if yer talking bout liquid molasses delivered the price ha gotten to be quite high ive heard. i dont use it since i trade for hay but i was gonna put out some blocks to see how it goes and feed the calfs the hay.
im also pretty low stking rate her . ive got 20 animals on about 50 acres and then the calfs got about 15 acres for 15 of them..they havent got it all ate down yet..but the weather been good and we got rain the other day...

CJohnson":3jarumgs said:
Central Fl Cracker":3jarumgs said:

It all depends on the quality of your hay. If cows are dry then you only need 8-9% CP hay to maintain, higher if you need to gain condition. If they are lactating then you will need 10-12% CP. If your hay is of lesser quality than what your cows need then supplement. Otherwise it is not needed.

Thank you CJohnson....If your hay is right you don't need supplements in climates that are warm enough, even if frost and freezing burns off the pasture (as in does in this part of Texas) it doesn't stay frozen long enough to throw ALL of your grasses into total dormancy. Given a little rain and sunshine the pastures begin to green back up immediately after a freeze/frost. Even just a little green can make a big difference on lesser quality hay. Tis the reason so many of us are so adamant about getting your hay tested.... knowing which of your hay is 8%, 10%, 12% or above lets you feed it (if necessary) according to the condition of your pasture and your weather.

The tool that gives you the biggest bang for the buck is a hay test...It takes all the guess work out of the equation.

how do you test protien on the hay..i only see moisture testers...round here its hard enough to get hay..much less pick the protien content.

4x5 rolls here..good heavy tight rolls are going 35 ea..probly 8-900 lbs id guess. good hermathia fertilized not full of weeds hay

You have to gather samples and send it to a testing facility. An extension agent or even a fertilizer distributor should be able to help locate one near you.

I've asked extension agents from 4 or 5 counties how to get hay tested and they all say tere isn't a testing facility near us. Gary if you find one let me know please

thats why i asked. our agent actually asked me why....told me they could measure the moisture for me tho...woohoo..thanks