Molasses

Help Support CattleToday:

We used dry molasses. But yes molasses by itself it's low in protein. Ask your feed store or mill for a bag of dry molasses and see how much
protein is in it. I just did and they said it was 18% protein. And by the way it's called a supplement tub, if you want to get right down to it.

highgrit":zt2snq3p said:
We used dry molasses. But yes molasses by itself it's low in protein. Ask your feed store or mill for a bag of dry molasses and see how much
protein is in it. I just did and they said it was 18% protein. And by the way it's called a supplement tub, if you want to get right down to it.
Is that straight molasses without any uera or anything? Everything I've found (haven;t looked on a sack of it) says 6% but I would think it would be high in energy

Called the mill and talked to their nutritionist. He said that molassas runs about 4% protein unless it's with some type of carrier like soybean meal, cotton seed meal, etc. It doesn;t have to be urea to boost the protein, coule even be processed chicken feathers.

highgrit":dy1bcb89 said:
That's the reason I didn't post something earlier Dun. We always called them protein tubs, "molasses tubs". Our dry molasses is mixed with
iron oxide and is 20% protein and some trace minerals, must be some protein in the trace minerals. I am sure it has urea or something else in it for the protein, next time I buy some I will read whats in the contents of the bag. Here we can buy it in 50lb. bags. I use it when we grind feed for a sweetner. Thanks for the info. Well Hook we always feed molasses because of the protein, there is not much in palmettos.
And a molasses tub has 24-28% protein. Just the way I was taught to do or say things I guess.
Dried molasses will have a little protein content because the "wet" molasses is sprayed on a carrier. A 50 lb. bag of dried molasses probably doesn't have 5 lbs. of actual molasses in it...the carrier can be "whatever is cheapest" but generally will be corn, wheat midds or some other by-product. Other than the carrier, it's a total waste of money unless you're adding it to mineral to make it a little more palatable. Any minerals will just be naturally occuring in the molasses and carrier and seldom enough to hardly be able to disclose.