Molasses Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what folks on the board use in the way molasses tubs as far as brand and formulation.
For quite a while we bought 200 Lb. 20% protein tubs for about $57. I recently picked a one ton pallet of 200 lb. 20% tubs at Tractor supply for about $36 each. However, 38 cattle cleaned out 3 of them in about 2 weeks. The older brand lasted quite a bit longer. Apparently this brand is not very self-limiting. I found some Carmelix 225 lb. 18% tubs for $76 but that seems a bit steep.
What formulation or limiter additives would I need to look for in 20% tub?

Thanks.

Last year when feed was really short, we tried using some of those molasses lick tubs to supplement the feed. Ended up being a collosal waste of money. Only a few cows would use the tubs, and the price was very expensive.

We ended up handpailing half a ton of rolled barley daily along with feeding 2 straw bales to 3 hay bales daily in order to bring the protein and energy up in our feed ration. With grain being very inexpensive last year, it was the most cost efficient option for us.

Take care.

We used similar products years ago, and realized they are very expensive for what you get out of them. If you do some figuring, other than the labor involved, you can feed a grain product cheaper and get more for your $$$.

TheBullLady":3u7tz5sp said:
We used similar products years ago, and realized they are very expensive for what you get out of them. If you do some figuring, other than the labor involved, you can feed a grain product cheaper and get more for your $$$.

By "grain product" do you mean a ground range meal type product custom mixed by a local feed store or a commercial "bagged" pre-mix like you get from Tractor Supply?

What type of recipe do ya'll use?

Thanks.

corn gluten works well for supplementing, seems to boost milk production too, we used a salted pellet a few years ago for the cows.

I would use a pellet if you are feeding on the ground. Less waste, 3/4 of an inch size is good. Ground feeds can sometimes be less digetsble. On my own I figured that the grain or in my case, caking the cows to supplyment was the more economical. The liquid feeds to me don't have a high enoug % of digestability. Plus it is as good way to get to look at your cattle.

Scotty

I have used the Crystallix tubs for years and they work very well for me. My cows eat about 1lb of supplement per day - this is a little over what the company says they should eat - 0.75 lb/hd/day. I use the BGF-30 formula but have used other formulas and the work just as well. I also always use the Hi-Mag tub when I turn them on grass in the spring. Not cheap but economical if your labor is worth anything.

I use 3 different brands, it just depends on what feed store I'm closest to at the time.
Purina Sup-R-block $38 200lbs 24% protein
Flint River Mills $42 200lbs 24% protein
Sweetlix $39 250lbs 24% protein
All three are are 5% fat content.
I prefer blocks over bagged feed like range cubes, because the blocks allow the timid cows to get their fair share of supplement.

i tried the tubs and the old saying is you get what you pay for , i bought some 2 for 1 sale and they ate them fast. i quit using them because thay are too expensive and didn't save me any money. i bought trough's for the price of tubs, $70 each and feed 50/50, $7.40 a cwt, the cows do better. it is cheaper than cubes too. but everyone has an opinion that is mine.

Pre-bagged is going to be more expensive than what a feed mill can "custom" bag for you. You'll need to talk to the mill and see what types of feed they formulate. You'll probably have to buy in bulk from the mill.... we buy a ton at a time.

We get a 10% - 12% mixed ration. We use the same ration for the cows and the creep feeder.

protein tubs are ok for me..i get 250# nutrena tubs..like 24/5/4..for 32 a piece..they have cardbaord wrapper instead fo platic tub..i got enough dang tubs...plus they are 50#heavier for the same money..i really like them on my weaner pasture and for cows with calves..they will usually hit them hard 1st time around, same as loose mineral but will slack off after..

Local feed mill will bag soybean meal/salt in 50# bags in a 2:1 ratio for $11.00 cwt.It is about the same price that I get "allstock" for at the local tsc. Difference is that the allstock is 12% protein while the other is 49%. But the girls really love the allstock,and get other vitamins and minerals as well. :cboy:

i assume you are feeding calves? whats wrong with feeding pellets? along with a little dry hay in the bunk? grass hay.,we feed bermuda with them. never had any luck with tubs only tried it a couple times and it seemed a waste of money. i always use starter pellets when feeding and or weaning calves. just keep the cows out of them or you'll have one laying teats up bloated and daid. watch how much you feed the cales too cause i seen a calf or two get pumped up on them before as they are very rich.
bif

Latest posts