Mol Mix Liquid Supplement vs Range Mill

Help Support CattleToday:

K&S Cattle

Reaction score
Anyone here use cottonseed mill, salt and minerals instead of liquid feed as a Protein Supplement for the Winter? I'm currently using Mol Mix and my cows are in great shape, just curious if there is a little cheaper route? The feed mill I use told me they can mix any ratio or formula I want.

TIA,

KMM

have for years I keep it out year around when grass is good they hardly touch it. Real cold bad weather I will mix a little corn in it but they will eat more of it with the corn mixed in it.

K&S Cattle":5kgzpb3j said:
Anyone here use cottonseed mill, salt and minerals instead of liquid feed as a Protein Supplement for the Winter? I'm currently using Mol Mix and my cows are in great shape, just curious if there is a little cheaper route? The feed mill I use told me they can mix any ratio or formula I want.

TIA,

KMM
You could feed a lot cheaper but it would be more labor intensive. As long as you're happy with the liquid feed why change.

Since we have had a less than desirable winter pasture growing season this year and have run out of green pasture, I've resorted to supplementing (for the first time in 7 years) some 5 year old 8.5% oat hay with this 1-3 Range Meal.

Since I've started feeding, they have stopped standing at the gate to the oats raising a ruckus and they are out chasing what little green stuff they can find in between scarfing down the hay. They aren't eating a whole lot, maybe a pound a day

The liquid feed I'm using only has .1% Fat, and I'm not sure that's enough fat. Today I put out 100 lbs of Range Meal (19% Protein 6.3% Fat 9.3% Fiber) to try. This is the liquid supplement I'm using.

K&S Cattle":3mj7kx2a said:
The liquid feed I'm using only has .1% Fat, and I'm not sure that's enough fat. Today I put out 100 lbs of Range Meal (19% Protein 6.3% Fat 9.3% Fiber) to try. This is the liquid supplement I'm using.

That liquid feed should make them wear out a bale of hay.

19%... that seems high? What does that run?

Im feeding a 14% 1-3 salt mix and I have been pleased. I made it until the first of the year on tubs and sorry hay but the tub consumption finally got too high and it was not doing the job alone. Since going to the 1-3 the cattle look a lot better and it has saved a few bucks.

K&S Cattle":22nnag98 said:
Is 6% Fat adequate? The .1% in MM was lacking I thought.
K&S it depends on why you're feeding. Many cattle, like those in my area need a protein supplement so owners buy a high protein low fat mix. In some areas of the country where cold weather is extreme cattle need as much or more energy supplementation during that cold weather so owners will use a supplement that is high in fat thus high in energy. Fat has about 3X the energy of corn.

the range meal I feed is
PROTEIN 27% FAT 2% FIBER 8%
CALCIUM not less than 0.25% not more than 0.75%
PHOSPHORUS not less than 0.50%
SALT not less than 30% not more than 35%
POTASSIUM not less than 0.80%
cottonseed meal, salt, calcium carbonate, and vegetable oil

Latest posts