Moisture Tester

Help Support CattleToday:

ERNIBIGB

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a baler mounted moisture tester? I found one last winter for a cheap price so I bought it and mounted it on the baler. I'm just now getting a feel for it but it is a nice little gadget. It seems that if the readings are below 20% consistently that the hay is plenty dry. I rolled a few bales the other day that were showing in the mid 20's and could tell that they really needed to dry some more but just left them in the field a few days. Checked them in the barn today and they were fine. I'm not really sure what the "correct" moisture should be percentage wise(18 sound like a good number?) and this meter is not supposed to be 100% accurate all the time. It is interesting to watch though and notice the variations in the field. I am anxious to see how it works in the bermuda hay that I can never seem to get dry enough. I think this is when it will be most helpful for me. With some time I think I will even be able to predict what the readings are going to be.

I use a hand held. Seems like a waste to have to bale something to see of it's dry enough

dun":135fvfdd said:
I use a hand held. Seems like a waste to have to bale something to see of it's dry enough
I agree with not wanting to bale to test the moisture. However, all handhelds I have seen are designed to be inserted in a bale as it requires tightly packed hay in order to be accurate. As far as moisture levels, I've been told that anything up to 18% is good, 18-24% is ok but caution should be used, and anything above 24% is a big no no. I'm sure it depends on the type of crop being baled. Unless I'm in a pinch with rain or the like I never bale over 16%.

novaman":2lxrtnm0 said:
dun":2lxrtnm0 said:
I agree with not wanting to bale to test the moisture. However, all handhelds I have seen are designed to be inserted in a bale as it requires tightly packed hay in order to be accurate. As far as moisture levels, I've been told that anything up to 18% is good, 18-24% is ok but caution should be used, and anything above 24% is a big no no. I'm sure it depends on the type of crop being baled. Unless I'm in a pinch with rain or the like I never bale over 16%.

YOu can make a really tight twist of hay and get within 4-5% of the baled moisture. NOt hard, even I can do it.

Rolled some bermuda/ryegrass mix today and the tester consistently showed 14.2%, moved across to the other block of straight bermuda and was reading in the high teens to 20%. I left that block for tomorrow. I've put up enough hay to know when it is ready but the little meter on the fender gives readings updated every 2 seconds and it can be a useful tool with some more experience. Might keep me from diving in too early and having a barn burn down. It's really a miracle we have not had it happen yet. My dad (83 yr) simply can not stand to let hay sit in the field a couple of days, He was moving it to the barn today right out of the baler so I need it to be good and dry when I roll it up.

This the first year I've ever used a tester, got one of those handheld jobbies. I still go by feel but it's kind of neat to compare what it says to what I feel. And to check temps on baled hay.

Latest posts