Moisture tester

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
as I explore using acid in making hay, I have discovered that the add on baler moisture testers are reasonably priced and have not found anything negative on them. One article from 12 is showing the John Deere tester that can be added to any baler and it appears to be exactly the same as the AGRATRONIX BHT-2 moisture tester. It retails at rural king for 340 bucks . When the time comes to trade balers in the future I will explore a factory installed unit but right now I am curious if anyone has added this feature to a baler.

https://www.agratronix.com/product/bht- ... nted-unit/

Lots locally have them. I don't, just a probe which is far more accurate. One tidbit the neighbor told me was to keep extra sensor patches on hand as you could be replacing them every year depending on how much hay you make.

We have one, seems to line up with the probe just fine, but don't watch it while you're actually making the bale or it will drive you crazy with the wild swings. But when the bale is complete it gives the average moisture and it's always what the probe says. Never had to replace the sensor patch yet, but it's only done 3 crops.

Silver":1zz07net said:
We have one, seems to line up with the probe just fine, but don't watch it while you're actually making the bale or it will drive you crazy with the wild swings. But when the bale is complete it gives the average moisture and it's always what the probe says. Never had to replace the sensor patch yet, but it's only done 3 crops.

Thank you, For the money I think its a better deal and it allows you to add acid system if you want . I always do a moisture test (microwave) method to get good idea when to start but knowing each bale moisture % would be better.

I have used and it was a good tool as long as you don't rely on close accuracy. I learned that 14 to 15% was a very good reading on mine for dry hay. If spraying preservative the readings may be less accurate but I don't know for sure.