Moisture MEters

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
What does the general population use for testing forage before rolling it for haylage? Been looking at the probes but, thy're no good until you make a roll, which is no help because I will have already wasted 1500lbs. of haylage. Then I found this thing online for cooking it, seemed as thogh people would use it to dry out their wacky weed. In chambers are way out of wack, have one of those and it's like watching you wife during her time of the month. Up and down has all sorts of mood swings, it's kind of like these new baler moniters, to keep idiots from making barrell shaped bales, that joker never shuts up I just quit paying attention to it and the bales started coming out just fine.

CB, that's what I keep hearing, and the only reason I want a meter is that I have had a few here lately that weren't quite right and it wasn't the greatest stuff.

The two hand method is the best way to tell before you can get it in a bale. Do you rake two windrows together before you run your round baler over it?

On the grass hay that we put up, we let it dry for a couple days, depending on heat and wind, then rake it and bale late in the afternoon. Of course, thats for small 3 tie bales, we usually dont big bale our grass hay because it goes export.

I suppose you have alot of humidity over there, so it is hard to tell until it's rolled up.

Some people can get by just fine, but were talking haylage here most every study I read said 40% was just asking for hay fires, a guy on the other side of town considers that his ideal moisture.I was looking for a good meter to take the guess work out of it and you'll always have certain spots in the field.

Latest posts