Modern Education

Help Support CattleToday:

I am not referring to kids with disabilities. Depending how much of a disability someone has I would think be taken into consideration for the type of job they were hired to do.
I understand that. I'm just saying that is probably why I view it differently. I've worked with kids with and without disabilities and seen all kinds of gifts, abilities, skills, and disabilities. One deficite doesn't necessarily define a person's abilities as a whole.

I just hear this one used all the time. Someone goes through a drive- through or checks out at the grocery, and the teen has some trouble with the transaction. That seems to be the current story everyone loves to tell, and apparently, it means that kid is destined to pick up aluminum cans for a living.

Quite often the people with the most mistakes are also the ones that did the most work....hard to make mistakes when you don't do anything.....cept talk.. 😂
Exactly!!
Those that do nothing, do nothing wrong.
Anyone that claims they make no mistakes hasn't done much in their lifetime and I've made plenty of mistakes. Probably going to make some more too. Going to leave it at that..

It's kind of like fireants in Tx and the rest of the South. I figure, if a man hasn't gotten into fireants at least once a day he hasn't attempted to do much that day.

If a parent or teacher wants to see for themselfs how well there kids are doing in school.

When they are at a 5th grade or better yet 4th grade level. Sit the kid down at table. Give them a pencil and paper without a calculator. Have them write out their al of their times tables. Throw in some 4 th grade addition and subtraction.

They should easily be able to do that !!! And i don't mean kids with learning disabilities of any kind. I am talking average high school kids.
4th and 5th graders in my part of the woods aren't in high school.
Just because someone has been going to school for 10-12 years and still in the 5th grade doesn't mean they are in high school....
unless they are from the Ozark backwoods....
bodine.jpg

I understand that. I'm just saying that is probably why I view it differently. I've worked with kids with and without disabilities and seen all kinds of gifts, abilities, skills, and disabilities. One deficite doesn't necessarily define a person's abilities as a whole.

I just hear this one used all the time. Someone goes through a drive- through or checks out at the grocery, and the teen has some trouble with the transaction. That seems to be the current story everyone loves to tell, and apparently, it means that kid is destined to pick up aluminum cans for a living.
I don't know how other's mean it. But I am not placing the blame on the kids. If you look back at some of my fist post in this thread you will read where i said we as parents, teachers,our governments hand in our educational requirements are letting our kids down.

The last thing I am talking about is kids with learning disabilities.

I agree with where someone mentioned there are kids who are encouragible who's only purpose for attending school is to disrupt classes and have no interest in being at school to begin with. And because their is so much wrong with our modern school system the list of problems go on and on.

You said yourself that is all you hear are incidents like the one I mentioned ? So what makes me any different than all the others you have heard about ?

These little incidents eventually can turn in to bigger problems.

Example, here at a local high school a brother and sister in the 7 th grade of school. The girl was real popular, star basket ball player, made the honor roll. Well liked by her community, church friends.

Her brother was a complete opposite, was held back one grade level. Teachers said he had no learning disabilities, they wanted to put him in some kind of special education classes. For some reason someone felt he didn't need help. He couldn't do simple math, among other things. The way i know all this is because i am friends with the boys uncle who asked me to give the boy work if i ever needed some help on the farm. So i did. Hardest worker, very respectful, good manners. I was impressed. When i paid him it was very obvious the boy couldn't count money. Had no clue how much he had earned. I took the time to explain that i had paid him $10 an hour and that we had worked 6 hours that day welding and because he had done such a good job I made his pay an even $ 100 as a bonus and hoped he would come work for me again. Hoped to sort of help as a mentor. Help him get on the right track.

Unfortunately the boys sister and other kids at his school had teasd, taunted him for his being slow or inability to learn. Which i find was hard to beleave. Boy seemed very bright, willing to learn to me.

I guess he finally got his fill of whatever was going on. One morning when his parents went grocery shopping. The boy takes a 22. Goes into his sisters room while she is asleep. Shoots her in the eye killing her dead.

Then he waits on his parents to come home so he could kill them but gets tired of waiting and drives himself to the sheriff's office and turns himself in.

He goes to prison, 6 months latter hangs himself in his cell.

Kid's being neglected even when it comes to learning has alot more effect on them than people think. It trickles right on through society. A big part of why our prisons are full, over crowed.

Reminds me of some show about a black basket ball coach, comes into a school and see's the importance of education verses the sport of high school basket ball, close the gym until all of his players get their grades up.

I can do math in my head pretty quickly. I had college animal nutrition before calculators came out. Try balancing the cheapest ration for a class and size of livestock with a pencil, scratch paper, and a copy of Morrison's Feeds and Feeding. You will learn to do math. On the other hand after I broke my back L&I sent me to some sort of shrink to see what my capability would be in a new profession. He had a some tiles that were red and white. Some solid colors, some diagonal, and some half and half. He would flash up a picture which I was supposed to make a copy of out of the tiles. He timed me. He said I completed them faster than anyone else ever had. After a bunch of other testing he told me I spelled at a 7th grade level (I am just short of a bachelors degree). But he said that is what they have spell check for.
People who can't spell use spell check. People who can't do math quickly in their head is what they made calculators for. I can't tell you how often I stump spell check.

I don't know how other's mean it. But I am not placing the blame on the kids. If you look back at some of my fist post in this thread you will read where i said we as parents, teachers,our governments hand in our educational requirements are letting our kids down.

The last thing I am talking about is kids with learning disabilities.

I agree with where someone mentioned there are kids who are encouragible who's only purpose for attending school is to disrupt classes and have no interest in being at school to begin with. And because their is so much wrong with our modern school system the list of problems go on and on.

You said yourself that is all you hear are incidents like the one I mentioned ? So what makes me any different than all the others you have heard about ?

These little incidents eventually can turn in to bigger problems.

Example, here at a local high school a brother and sister in the 7 th grade of school. The girl was real popular, star basket ball player, made the honor roll. Well liked by her community, church friends.

Her brother was a complete opposite, was held back one grade level. Teachers said he had no learning disabilities, they wanted to put him in some kind of special education classes. For some reason someone felt he didn't need help. He couldn't do simple math, among other things. The way i know all this is because i am friends with the boys uncle who asked me to give the boy work if i ever needed some help on the farm. So i did. Hardest worker, very respectful, good manners. I was impressed. When i paid him it was very obvious the boy couldn't count money. Had no clue how much he had earned. I took the time to explain that i had paid him $10 an hour and that we had worked 6 hours that day welding and because he had done such a good job I made his pay an even $ 100 as a bonus and hoped he would come work for me again. Hoped to sort of help as a mentor. Help him get on the right track.

Unfortunately the boys sister and other kids at his school had teasd, taunted him for his being slow or inability to learn. Which i find was hard to beleave. Boy seemed very bright, willing to learn to me.

I guess he finally got his fill of whatever was going on. One morning when his parents went grocery shopping. The boy takes a 22. Goes into his sisters room while she is asleep. Shoots her in the eye killing her dead.

Then he waits on his parents to come home so he could kill them but gets tired of waiting and drives himself to the sheriff's office and turns himself in.

He goes to prison, 6 months latter hangs himself in his cell.

Kid's being neglected even when it comes to learning has alot more effect on them than people think. It trickles right on through society. A big part of why our prisons are full, over crowed.

Reminds me of some show about a black basket ball coach, comes into a school and see's the importance of education verses the sport of high school basket ball, close the gym until all of his players get their grades up.
Coach Carter I think was the name of the show. Ever watch it ? Even though he was a fictional charter. I think his roll in the movie is what all good teachers should strive for.

I can do math in my head pretty quickly. I had college animal nutrition before calculators came out. Try balancing the cheapest ration for a class and size of livestock with a pencil, scratch paper, and a copy of Morrison's Feeds and Feeding. You will learn to do math. On the other hand after I broke my back L&I sent me to some sort of shrink to see what my capability would be in a new profession. He had a some tiles that were red and white. Some solid colors, some diagonal, and some half and half. He would flash up a picture which I was supposed to make a copy of out of the tiles. He timed me. He said I completed them faster than anyone else ever had. After a bunch of other testing he told me I spelled at a 7th grade level (I am just short of a bachelors degree). But he said that is what they have spell check for.
People who can't spell use spell check. People who can't do math quickly in their head is what they made calculators for. I can't tell you how often I stump spell check.
I can't spell very good. I know how to use spell check on a computer. Do ocassionly send out some emails.

But mostly text on this phone stuff that isn't very important. Like this forum and don't care if things are spelt right, or any of the rest of the stuff that goes along with correct punctuation etc...,

Wish i was better at spelling and all. But unless i have to start relying on writing novels for a living I can manage with my limited knowledge of grammar etc...,

Ocassionly I will have people try to and correct me on spelling or other errors. When they spell worse than i do.

Thought about trying to improve my English and from what little time I spent researching it. It is pretty complex and would bet that even an average English scholar could poke holes and find something wrong with the best of people's text they have written. Whom may think they had everything perfectly written or texted.

One thing I notice after haveing sent a text message on these smart phones. Alot of words has either been changed or spelt different than what was sent to begin with.

So i am not going to lose any slept or worry about what people think of any emails or text messages I send.

I can't spell very good. I know how to use spell check on a computer. Do ocassionly send out some emails.

But mostly text on this phone stuff that isn't very important. Like this forum and don't care if things are spelt right, or any of the rest of the stuff that goes along with correct punctuation etc...,

Wish i was better at spelling and all. But unless i have to start relying on writing novels for a living I can manage with my limited knowledge of grammar etc...,

Ocassionly I will have people try to and correct me on spelling or other errors. When they spell worse than i do.

Thought about trying to improve my English and from what little time I spent researching it. It is pretty complex and would bet that even an average English scholar could poke holes and find something wrong with the best of people's text they have written. Whom may think they had everything perfectly written or texted.

One thing I notice after haveing sent a text message on these smart phones. Alot of words has either been changed or spelt different than what was sent to begin with.

So i am not going to lose any slept or worry about what people think of any emails or text messages I send.
Note the word slept in my text. It was spelled sleep when i proof read it before sending the message. Just an example of what I am talking about.

Latest posts