Mode of Transportation

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
Wow! I posted the note about respecting those people working their cattle on horseback in the blowing snow. I've enjoyed the discussion about the horse vs. the engine. I'm sure it's a case of different strokes for different folks. I just thought I would let you know I can't take sides on this issue. We use an "electric" golf cart to move our cattle. It's quiet, starts every time, doesn't stink with fumes, hauls 200 lbs. of cubes, has a drink holder, cheaply recharges every night and as of yet, I haven't been thrown one time.

I came real close to buying my neighbors golf cart when we moved out here, but my land is pretty rough in the back 40! I decided to buy the 4 wheelers instead. Is your land fairly smooth, or how does the cart handle the rough terrain and the mud? They seem pretty low to the ground for what I would need. I think my next purchase is going to be a Kawasaki Mule, since I am using the trailer less and less behind the ATV, and most of what I haul now will fit on the Mule, ....cubes, chainsaw, fence posts etc.

eric":3sfcgfu7 said:
I came real close to buying my neighbors golf cart when we moved out here, but my land is pretty rough in the back 40! I decided to buy the 4 wheelers instead. Is your land fairly smooth, or how does the cart handle the rough terrain and the mud? They seem pretty low to the ground for what I would need. I think my next purchase is going to be a Kawasaki Mule, since I am using the trailer less and less behind the ATV, and most of what I haul now will fit on the Mule, ....cubes, chainsaw, fence posts etc.

We don't have a lot of flat spots on our land. We put a lift kit in the cart with knobby Terrain tires. It's a 48 volt system and handles all of our gulleys, and hills quiet well. I've ridden all over with 4 people on the cart (added back seat that folds down to give me a platform for fencing tools, feed, chain saw etc. It goes through mud pretty well. Once or twice, I've had to get out, walk beside it for a few feet and push on the accelerator. It gets itself out very easily when empty.

Just for information, the hitch receiver on the mule takes a standard hitch for a Ranger pickup. You don;t need to pay the redicules price Kawasaki wants for them. I'm cheap!

dun

eric":1i4oqsi1 said:

Before we got a fourwheeler we had an electric golf cart. It worked ok for checking on cows (if they were nearby). If they were in the back it would either run out of juice or just take forever to get back there. Plus it got stuck alot (our land is either sand hill or wetland) and was extremely bumpy. the cushiony seats and roof were nice features though. I would personally rather have a reliable fourwheeler than a golfcart or muletype atv. the beds are nice if you need to haul more than 3 bales of hay but otherwise a fourwheeler is just as nice.

Besides the obvious, the primary, for us, advantages in a mule is the roof and bench seat, the windsheild is sure a pleasure also. My old legs don't like swinging over the seat on ATVs.

dun

Beefy":x9ow7kru said:
Before we got a fourwheeler we had an electric golf cart. It worked ok for checking on cows (if they were nearby). If they were in the back it would either run out of juice or just take forever to get back there. Plus it got stuck alot (our land is either sand hill or wetland) and was extremely bumpy. the cushiony seats and roof were nice features though. I would personally rather have a reliable fourwheeler than a golfcart or muletype atv. the beds are nice if you need to haul more than 3 bales of hay but otherwise a fourwheeler is just as nice.

Unless your old (I'll cut you some slack) you guys are the laziest bunch of people I've seen. Try walking or at least get a horse to build up your leg muscles.
Ellie May

:cboy:

It's pretty hard to haul a couple of hundred pounds of feed or minerals or a couple dozen T-posts and a spool of wire on my "old" back. I must be lazy because I usually only get in a couple of miles of walking a day. That' why in the original posts concerning type of horse I specified Kawasaki mule or shanks mare. If you don;t understand shanks mare ask anyone over 60, they'll explain it to you.

dun

Ellie May":1bel89rk said:
Unless your old (I'll cut you some slack) you guys are the laziest bunch of people I've seen. Try walking or at least get a horse to build up your leg muscles.
Ellie May

:cboy:

sam":1z3zajsi said:
old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Works everytime and always will!

By the way Dun, since I own a machine shop, I wouldn't consider buying any accessories from the dealers! They are like legal bandits it seems. I used to buy my oil filters from the dealers, but I found out that WIX makes the same size filters for about 1/3 of the price. I fabricated some really nice recievers for the 4 wheelers to mount my trailer to, and can change them out when I need to hook up the sprayer or the little plastic lawn cart I got for free when I bought my riding lawn mower. You'd be amazed how convienent it is to have your own machine shop around when you live on a farm!

I don't have a machine shop but do most everything by fabricating it myself. I know of some of the younger guys that don't weld, don't understand electrical/AC or DC, can't work with hydraulics, or wood or hardly anything else. No wonder they seem to go broke at a rapid rate. If you're paying somebody else to do the work, his family may have a new car, but you sure won't.
I'm the proverbial "jack of all trades, master of none".
I do hire my tire work done on the tractor though.
One of the good things about being and old phart

dun

eric":2s5348g4 said:
By the way Dun, since I own a machine shop, I wouldn't consider buying any accessories from the dealers! They are like legal bandits it seems. I used to buy my oil filters from the dealers, but I found out that WIX makes the same size filters for about 1/3 of the price. I fabricated some really nice recievers for the 4 wheelers to mount my trailer to, and can change them out when I need to hook up the sprayer or the little plastic lawn cart I got for free when I bought my riding lawn mower. You'd be amazed how convienent it is to have your own machine shop around when you live on a farm!

DR CATTLE you crack me up!! :lol: A llama can only carry 250 ponds on it's back at the most, if it's big. They are used to pack not ride. We use ours for keeping away the wild dogs, selling, & sometimes shearing. ;-)
Ellie May

Latest posts