Mobile Slaughter of a Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

How do you age it this way?

The young man has skills.

I wish we had it here too. I think this is rare. I'd buy the setup if I could find a guy like this to work it. Would it be USDA inspected?

That guy has did that a few times to be that good and has the best set-up I ever seen for a mobile truck.

This made me go looking...

What began as a project in 2002 to help a Farmers Cooperative in San Juan County achieve its goal to process all its livestock, resulted in the first USDA approved Mobile Slaughter Trailer. Since then it has grown into a wide product offering by TriVan Truck Body that is helping farmers all over North America.

https://www.trivan.com/mobile-processing-unit/

And this..

http://mobilemeat.wpengine.com/

THE SCOOP: Callicrate Cattle Company received its new custom-built meat processing unit last month. "This is a milestone. It's a state-of-the-art design," says Ranch Foods Direct owner Mike Callicrate.

THE BACKSTORY: In 2011, Mike's ranch began processing on-site with a demonstration trailer provided by the Socially Responsible Ag Project. Construction on a new unit started soon after. It contains many revolutionary features, including a hide puller and a section of the processing rail that rotates, making carcass splitting easier. "There's also lots of interior lighting and two scales measure both live and hot carcass weights." The trailer has been extended five feet to accommodate a carcass quartering section outside of the cooler and to provide a tight docking seal for loading into the transport trailer. The carcass cooling section is rearranged to be more efficient. A second hoist on the outside of the trailer allows a staging area for hanging up the next animal in line. "With four people, we will be able to slaughter 20 head a day," he says. "Water use of 32 gallons per head will continue to improve; at the big packing facilities, it's around 730."

my guy here is almost exactly the same cept those guts go into a plastic drum as he does that part hanging up ......he doesn't leave anything but a wet spot.....that boy needs to get him a chainmail glove for that holding hand...someday hell wish he had.....does a nice job tho...dying breed right there

That is impressive. It takes me and my neighbor half of a day to do what he did in 20 minutes, of course we take a lot more beer breaks.

Similar to butchering a deer........sort of, lol. A hide puller would speed up the process even more for him if he had one. I've used the bucket of my front end loader and tie off to a tree of the hitch on my truck

HDRider":2myrldct said:
How do you age it this way?

The young man has skills.

I wish we had it here too. I think this is rare. I'd buy the setup if I could find a guy like this to work it. Would it be USDA inspected?

I have had several steers done just like that, yes he had Washington plates, they are all over Oregon and Washington, probably more areas as well. The truck is simply a mobile slaughter truck, it I said refrigerated and simply haul the quarters back to the facility where the quarters are hung for you selected aging period. Then they cut and wrap it to your specifications, freeze the packages and done. Most are not USDA, only means you cannot resell the meat, you can however sell a private party a partial of a live animal, i.e. Quarter beef on the hoof. My guy did it a little different, but it I sure basically the same. He will take the heart, tail, tongue and liver ask me I want any of those organs. If not he will keep the superstars in the truck to resell, same for the hide and hooves and head. The only thing I'm left with is stomach contents, he takes everything except undigested food.

dieselbeef":3e3l09aj said:
hd that mobile meat trlr aint killing for 7 bucks and cut and wrapping at 50/lb either I bet

Last time I used that type of operation it was a $45 farm kill and slaughter fee and a .45 cent per pound (hanging weight) cut and wrap fee.

What's really nice is there is no hauling, well only with coolers to pick up the steaks. For the steer all is normal, letting grain and hay in the morning, little grazing in the paddock until forehead meets .22 hornet.

Off topic a bit, but I bought some fresh Pied from a guy a couple of days ago and these steak are wrapped with heat shrink. Never ran across that with beef. Vacuum yes, but heat shrink is a first for me.

Latest posts