Mobile Mineral Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I use something like the picture. I move my cattle often. Moving that thing around empty is not too bad, but quite awkward when it is full. Any ideas on making it more mobile?

Red Bull Breeder":12oybpqy said:
Put it in a old truck tire
That worked pretty good for the tub. I figured the mineral feeder was too big for that. Thanks - I'll give it a try.

I had put it on a pallet to pull it, but I was afraid the cows might put a foot between the slats.

HDRider":3qri4jvd said:
I use something like the picture. I move my cattle often. Moving that thing around empty is not too bad, but quite awkward when it is full. Any ideas on making it more mobile?

Move cattle when mineral feeder is empty.

Two pieces of 4x4 and a piece of plywood, make sort of a skid the same size as the feeder. Taper the 4x4s on one side so you can pull it.

TexasBred":2jg6ng5k said:
HDRider":2jg6ng5k said:

I'm with TB on this , a little planning , don't fill it when you are going to move them soon .

Go to a truck shop and get the biggest tire they have, they will be more than happy to give you 50 of them. Bolt the feeder to the tire with lag screws then drill a hole in the tire and bolt a short chain to it some how. This way you can just use a small chain hooked to your bumper to drag the feeder. Needs to be an 18 wheeler tire. It'll last forever, I'll try to get a pic of one tomorrow. Most of those feeders already have 3 or 4 holes in them for doing this.

snoopdog":hxo3yrp8 said:
TexasBred":hxo3yrp8 said:
HDRider":hxo3yrp8 said:

I'm with TB on this , a little planning , don't fill it when you are going to move them soon .
I move every few days, sometimes every day.

HDRider":1hui7irb said:

Personally I use barrels that I made into mineral feeders that dun suggested they are cheap and I have plenty and hang in places that don't matter from trees saves time

That's why I use just regular bunk troughs for salt and mineral. When we rotate pastures I throw a rope around a leg and drag it with the truck or mule. We don't have a tractor at every property. I can daisy chain quite a few bunks in a row and take off.

Dogs and Cows":wkxl2dru said:
ddd75":wkxl2dru said:
i use these.. they work well. they are about 200 bucks each.
http://ameriag.com/home.html

Do you use the insecticide strips as well ddd? Are they effective?

Thanks,

Tim

yes it does help a lot, as they get exposure everytime they get mineral.

These come with semi truck tires already to pull them around. You can move them full of mineral.. I pull mine through creeks, everywhere. they are tough as they come as well.

Brute 23":2y8jccze said:
That's why I use just regular bunk troughs for salt and mineral. When we rotate pastures I throw a rope around a leg and drag it with the truck or mule. We don't have a tractor at every property. I can daisy chain quite a few bunks in a row and take off.
Are the bunks covered? I like the style I use to keep weather off the minerals..

ddd75":labwepxp said:
Dogs and Cows":labwepxp said:
ddd75":labwepxp said:
i use these.. they work well. they are about 200 bucks each.
http://ameriag.com/home.html

Do you use the insecticide strips as well ddd? Are they effective?

Thanks,

Tim

yes it does help a lot, as they get exposure everytime they get mineral.

These come with semi truck tires already to pull them around. You can move them full of mineral.. I pull mine through creeks, everywhere. they are tough as they come as well.
I have not seen that. I'd give one a try if they were around here. I especially like those insecticide strips.

Latest posts