Mob feeding and Holistic feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmersDigest

Reaction score
Does anyone do this with their cattle? DH and I have been watching these topics in youtube. They seem like a good idea, but we wanted to see what you guys think.

Mob grazing sounds rather management intestive.. it might be good if you're big enough to have enough people so that one person can be dedicated to working the cows.

What's the definition of 'holistic' feeding? Sounds like a yuppie do-gooder catch phrase.

Nesikep":3e5xbxsi said:
Mob grazing sounds rather management intestive.. it might be good if you're big enough to have enough people so that one person can be dedicated to working the cows.

What's the definition of 'holistic' feeding? Sounds like a yuppie do-gooder catch phrase.

Here's one of the mob grazing videos we watched
http://youtu.be/z9UUoN1AwdE

Here's one video we watched for holistic feeding.
http://youtu.be/uw0VX3hhWJA
:lol: yuppie do-gooder I like that!

Nesikep":1azn0572 said:
I can't watch videos from where I am :(

Same here. A text description would be good. I've heard the word holistic used in many a way but not to refer to a cattle feeding system.
mob grazing is a form of 'mig', management intensive grazing. We used to have a guy here called mobgrazer who knew everything about it. How I understood it, it's primarily a tool for improving poor quality land. And supposedly very effective.

regolith":29f4p3vw said:
Nesikep":29f4p3vw said:
I can't watch videos from where I am :(

Same here. A text description would be good. I've heard the word holistic used in many a way but not to refer to a cattle feeding system.
mob grazing is a form of 'mig', management intensive grazing. We used to have a guy here called mobgrazer who knew everything about it. How I understood it, it's primarily a tool for improving poor quality land. And supposedly very effective.
So sorry! The video was stating that holistic was they were grass fed, no antibiotics, no steroids, and no hormones. Pretty much they roam and hump free and nothing is added to their feed. =) Oh and no grain!

The mob grazing, yes is supposed to improve the land. It's also supposed to be better for the cattle. You don't have to use a weed killer, you don't have to water the field as much, and you don't have to fertilize. Yes, you have to move the cattle 3-4 times a day, but it's supposed to save you money in the long run!

But the holistic video, or what I watched of it, they said they were feeding flax in the mix. So not just grass fed.
And speaking of it, they mentioned feeding the diatomaceous earth for parasite control. Someone shared with me how great that product is for fleas and parasites in dogs and cats. I bought it hook, line and sinker. Feed it the pets, spread it in their beds, and sprinkled it all over the animals. I ended with no decrease in fleas, misserable pets and a vacuume that will not work from trying to vacuume the carpets of that fine crap! :cry2:

OK, so I already do the holistic thing, except for I control when they hump.. I've only had a couple cases that needed antibiotics in last 6 years.. they're grass fed. We do feed some of the animals some sunflower pressings that we grow ourselves.

I can't fathom having to move the cattle 3 to 4 times a day... I'd have no time left to do anything else... like watering!.. which is something that won't go away here.

FSR.. Interesting about the DE. What made the pets miserable though?

Holistic - I think y'all call that grass-fed.
My cows would qualify except I treat them with antibiotics when they're sick. And mineral. And the calves get some grain feed till about four months old. With rumensin to protect them against coccidiosis.
I could sum up the 'holistic' notion in one word but it wouldn't be a nice word.

The key to mob grazing is to build up the organic matter, hence the soil would hold moisture (and nutrients) better. Most of us can't water our fields anyway and have to make do with what the weather sends. In theory an improved soil would hang on for longer when it turns dry.
Certainly never underestimate the power of controlled grazing to improve soils and control weeds. My thoughts are that when you've got your soil in a productive state then regular rotational grazing, with 24 or 48 hrs in each area, ought to maintain the advantage without the work of moving a mob several times a day.
Depending on your climate you might want to look at the threads on bale grazing also.

Nesikep":2bgs6ft8 said:
FSR.. Interesting about the DE. What made the pets miserable though?

It did not get rid of the fleas, so constant scratching and digging on themselves.

I give my cows about a pasture a week, sometimes it lasts 2 weeks. I'm still in the process of improving my crossfencing.. Getting water to all the paddocks is one of the hardest things here. I think for my situation I'm not going to aim for a paddock size less than about 5 days worth of food.. I like them to graze it down, but not for so long that they eat the new shoots.

I think a lot depends on the type of forage you have as well.