MM's evening trail ride (w/pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Rode for about 4 1/2 hours this evening... just out and about.

First, meet my pardner... he's soooo steady, goes over anything, through anything, and he's a perfect size to get on and off for picture taking or opening gates. :p ;-)
phoenixIresized.jpg

Heading down the road, cows in the field...
trailride1stpic.jpg

Looking through my pony's ears...we've taken a trail off the road and we're headed out to the desert...
trailride2ndpic.jpg

Woolly beasties ahead...
trailride3rdpic.jpg

Cow/calf pair...
trailride4thpic.jpg

At least he was docile...
trailride5thpic.jpg

F&G lands... gates were all locked and we went miles out of our way trying to get on to them... it's the only way back home...
trailride6thpic.jpg

Char bull...
trailride7thpic.jpg

Couple calves... have to have a judge for these sort of competitions...
trailrideextrapic2.jpg

More F&G lands...
trailrideextrapic1.jpg

Cow moose and new calf... don't think she really liked having her picture taken...
trailride9thpic.jpg

Sundown... on the F&G lands, and we're headed back home...
trailride10thpic.jpg

Very nice pictures, milkmaid! :D I did notice that one of the 'cows' in the second picture appears to have a few appendages that disqualifies him as a cow, though. :lol: :lol: Nice horse, too. I am also curious as to what "F&G" is? Thanks for sharing. :)

I suppose I should have said "bovines in the field" instead. :lol:

F&G stands for Fish and Game... there's actually two separate wildlife refuges within riding distance of our place, and the ride I was doing took me through both of them in a big loop.

Well MM thank you for the pic's i enjoyed them really i like the sunset and your horse he's fine too.

rattler

Nice pictures MM, Idaho is a beautiful state.
I lived in Idaho Falls in the late 70,s.

My first priority of finding a pony is can I get on easily. Considering I ride bareback and can't jump well it makes my partners pretty small. :lol: Nice pics.

curtis":37vs649j said:
Nice pictures MM, Idaho is a beautiful state.
I lived in Idaho Falls in the late 70,s.

Idaho Falls isn't too far... we go there on occasion... the big stores, livestock auction, and airport are there. :p

Poor pony's so tuckered out today... guess I'm riding the other one this afternoon. Won't be using the camera when I'm on the other one's back; he's an airhead for about the first 8 miles! :lol:

cowboyup216":sb2e829i said:
Look like scottish highlands. I am not milk maid but I answered it anyways.

Thank you CBup216 it was kind of you to reply.My, they sure have a lot of hair it looks like they almost have manes on them.They would do great in Alberta winters.I have two original paintings of highlands that I inherited from my Great Grand Father who brought them over from Europe(the paintings not the cows) but the cows in the painting are to far in the distant landscaping to see all that hair.

Far as I know they are Scottish Highland(ers?) cattle. I have no idea who owns them; every summer they just show up in that pasture in the desert, and I sure enjoy looking at 'em. :p ;-)

Here's another one of the woolly beasties... (my brother calls them Musk Ox :lol:)
woollybeastie.jpg

Thanks for sharing....something about the scrub land in the spring...can almost smell the desert...oh the memories. Alot of grass, how long does it last?
DMc

Very nice pics, And a nice ride. I thought Highlands had long horns? Anyway, maybe out there they dehorn. :eek:

mnmtranching":2gvk4adr said:
Very nice pics, And a nice ride. I thought Highlands had long horns? Anyway, maybe out there they dehorn. :eek:

don't ya know - only bulls have horns - those are cows ;-) :banana:

mnmtranching":2bl153j6 said:

I think this herd is all dehorned... except this cow, who looks like she only got a partial job.

trailride4thpic.jpg

Latest posts