MLV Vaccine ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kdhansen

Reaction score
About the non-use of MLV vaccines (BVD) on calves nursing cows that had not been vaccinated with a MLV in last 12 months because of the calves shedding the virus. How do the calves shed the virus in order for the cows to pick it up? Is it transferred while the calf is nursing, an exchange of fluids (cow licking calf, etc.), or ? How long is this "shedding" period / how long before a MLV vaccinated weaned calf can be commingled with pregnant cows/heifers that have not had the MLV (only killed) vaccine? Would like to get whole herd on MLV, not sure where/when to start. (Only talking 20 head cows/heifers).

Not sure about the time frame on the the calf shedding we have vaccinated calves on pasture with an MLV in the past without issues (cows weren't vaccinated). Apparently the odds are very slim however I would not take that chance again.

I have been looking into a mixed killed / live product for the cows so I didn't have to worry about if I missed one with a round and ends up aborting if I gave her an MLV down the road. The only other way to be completely safe with the MLV would be to do them at pre breeding which you would have to do the first year anyway.

bmoore87":19ldnis3 said:
Not sure about the time frame on the the calf shedding we have vaccinated calves on pasture with an MLV in the past without issues (cows weren't vaccinated). Apparently the odds are very slim however I would not take that chance again.

I have been looking into a mixed killed / live product for the cows so I didn't have to worry about if I missed one with a round and ends up aborting if I gave her an MLV down the road. The only other way to be completely safe with the MLV would be to do them at pre breeding which you would have to do the first year anyway.
I have been looking into a mixed killed / live product for the cows so I didn't have to worry about if I missed one with a round and ends up aborting if I gave her an MLV down the road. The only other way to be completely safe with the MLV would be to do them at pre breeding which you would have to do the first year anyway.[/quote]

I vaccinate pre-breeding, used to use a MLV until I had purchased a couple bred cows and was "chicken" to use the MLV on the weaning calves, so ALL ended up on the killed vaccine for the last 5 years. Really would like to get all back on MLV, so figured I could start when weaning this season, then catch the cows up pre-breeding next season...just really curious why it is noted to not vaccinate calves that are nursing cows that hadn't been MLV vaccinated, and why it would affect the cow that is being nursed (figured it must have something to do to how the calves shed the virus, or they assume all cow w/calves are only with cows w/calves that have been all vaccinated the same, at the same time?) Wasn't sure either if it was a CYA note on the vaccine or substantial evidence.

Cows/heifers should be vaccinated with MLV anytime after calving up to just prior to breeding season.

Which gives you a 3 month window, more or less, between calving and breeding to "get'erdone". That is your starting point for MLV, and annually thereafter.

Once you get on to keeping that schedule on cows, nursing calves can be vaccinated at any time with MLV.

Lucky_P":20qw9hpy said:

Thanks for the link (lot of related studies, too :), dated 2003, is this study probably one of the reasons that they were able to claim on the bottle (2004?) the MLV safe for pregnant cows that had been previously vaccinated? This is the link that got me confused in the first place: http://farmprogress.com/story-stop-usin ... e-14-64594 Dated 2012...however what got me was in this article they were talking IBR (which I thought was a MLV most all reproductive vaccines (CM Gold, Inforce3, etc... some of those considered Killed Vaccines) and that the difference was the BVD vaccine (MLV or KV)) So I went to the Zoetis website to try to "unconfuse" myself...did somewhat, but then raised other questions that I couldn't find answers to.

John SD":r7ovc3po said:
Cows/heifers should be vaccinated with MLV anytime after calving up to just prior to breeding season.

Which gives you a 3 month window, more or less, between calving and breeding to "get'erdone". That is your starting point for MLV, and annually thereafter.

Once you get on to keeping that schedule on cows, nursing calves can be vaccinated at any time with MLV.

That "window" was the kicker this last season, but I did get my one straggler backed up 38 days, so I could feasibly start this Fall, just thought I might get a head start with this group of weanlings, but I could catch the heifers pre-breeding to the MLV...sounds too simple, what am I missing???

I don't worry for a second about 'shedding' by vaccinated calves - and I do not vaccinate my producing females, so if it were a problem, I'd have had a wreck by now, 'cause all my females are 'naive'. I'm not recommending that YOU(generic) not worry about it - but I don't.

That said, I still have some reservations about vaccinating pregnant females with a mlv product, even if they've been through an approved vaccination protocol previously, and within the recommended timeframe. Just don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable doing that.

Lucky_P...I've seen "yes" & "no" on booster shots for the MLV, but if I give Inforce3 pre weaning, than give a MLV post weaning...would that be considered a booster (except for the BVD) providing within the time frame for recommended booster.. would you give another MLV booster (talking heifers here), or would a pre breeding vac (6mos + later) be more than enough?

really curious why it is noted to not vaccinate calves that are nursing cows that hadn't been MLV vaccinated

They are just covering their a$$. They know the odds are almost zero but don't want to get sued if something should happen. I just like to worry and was planning on changing vaccines anyways.

Weather you have to give a booster depends on your mlv vaccine. Zoetis did have some interesting research showing inforce followed by Bovishield gold 5 gave a strong immune response like a booster. Bovishield Gold 5 was also approved for single does administration with no booster however when talking to a vet from zoetis he said to give a booster if you have had problems in the past. Otherwise several companies have single shot vaccines that require no booster.

Latest posts