MLV Vaccine Interfering with Pneumonia Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoore87

Reaction score
This was something that I had seen a few trials on recently and didn't know if anyone else already knew of this and had adjusted how they give vaccines. We have always given an MLV and pneumonia vaccine together or as a combination vaccine (vista Once/ Bovi shield gold one shot). Apparently they think the MLV can reduce the ability of the pneumonia vaccine to build immunity in calves when given at the same time. Below is summary of a study NDSU did on this.

They did suggest that using an internasal vaccine instead of an mlv when giving a pneumonia shot would reduce that interference.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...7ICADg&usg=AFQjCNH5G9I7-BFxh67sVHUfnRG5zo2Wnw

Thanks for that link.
Have been trying to get this information out since I first saw it reported, several years ago.
Pretty likely that many producers - and probably a significant number of veterinary practitioners, as well - are unaware of these interactions, and are not getting adequate protection from the relatively expensive vaccines they're using - not to mention time and effort handling the animals - all because they're unaware of the function and interactions of the immune system.

The interference by systemic (injectible) mlv vaccines on response to bacterins extends beyond just the Pasteurella/Mannheimia products - may well also interfere with response to the Clostridial bacterin/toxoids, and possibly to response to Lepto vaccines.
Recent (within the past 6 months) presentation by Dr. Vic Cortese indicated that the folks at Zoetis have worked out antigen loads, etc., sufficiently for their new combo BoviShield/One Shot to be able to overcome potential interactions and elicit an appropriate immune response to all components.

Lucky thanks for the info on it maybe passing over to the clostridials as well. Have you developed a system of vaccinating to get around this? The studies suggested for the pneumonia that using an internasal/pneumonia (Inforce/ Pulmoguard) at turnout and then using the 5way mlv/pneumonia (vista once or bovishield one shot) at weaning would lead to less interference not sure if something similar to that would do anything in making the clostridials have less of a reaction. The other thing would be to run stuff through the shoot multiple times I guess, if it came to that I might live with some reduced vaccine effect.

Calves here get two doses of Clostridial bacterin/toxoids early on - between 1-3 months of age. Heifers that are potential replacement retainees get two doses of Spirovac at the same time.
Pre-weaning protocol here is: 1.) Inforce-3 intranasal and a Pasteurella/Mannheimia bacterin/toxoid; followed in 2-4 weeks by
2.) Bovi-Shield Gold 5 and insertion of Quiet-Wean nose blabs.
Nose blabs are pulled 3-5 days later, and calves separated from dams.
Minimal bawling - cows do more than the calves; have had no post-weaning illness, and reports I've had from folks who bought our calves indicate that they've had NO problems with them getting sick.

It's more handling than *I* like to do, but it's what the farm manager(wife) has deemed necessary, and I have no doubt that our cattle are far better now, and more profitable, than before she took the reins from me and actually instituted some MANAGEMENT.

Latest posts