MLV vaccine how long after mixing

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I was vaccinating cows this morning, one jumped over the fence and I could not get her to come back, I was going to try again this afternoon if vaccine was still good. How long do you think I have with Bovi-shield fp 5 VL5 after mixing, it has been refrigerated ever since mixing. Thanks

The MLV component which is the 5 Fetal Protection viruses require that the vaccine be administered in no more than 2 hours from rehydration. An hour if possible for best results.

ok, thanks. she is not pregnant so I am not worried about the fetal protection. would the viral part be good for longer just not the Vibrio & lepto?

ugabulldog":2uklh26x said:
ok, thanks. she is not pregnant so I am not worried about the fetal protection. would the viral part be good for longer just not the Vibrio & lepto?

It's the viral part that expires. The bacterin component should be fine (Vibriosis and the 5 Leptospira).

Bright Raven":3nkhmw3n said:
ugabulldog":3nkhmw3n said:

It's the viral part that expires. The bacterin component should be fine (Vibriosis and the 5 Leptospira).

BTW: the fetal protection component -IBR, BVD (TYPES 1 AND 2), PI3, and BRSV are for protecting the cow during pregnancy and should be given 60 days PRIOR to breeding. So the fact that she is not bred is not reason to not vaccinate for the FP 5.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/beef/ ... -5-l5.aspx
Zoetis is pushing Cattlemaster-gold-fp against Triangle 10 HB. Zoetis is making some kind of guarantee against abortion if you use Cattlemaster-gold-fp. I couldn't hear exactly what was being said, but HB was also covered using Cattlemaster-gold-fp even though it's not labeled as such. And Zoetis is also giving a $1.00 refund per dose on Cattlemaster-gold-fp at the present time. I'm still not sure about using a MLV in our herd again, but the numbers sure look better than Triangle 10 HB.

True Grit Farms":3dx45glf said:
Zoetis is making some kind of guarantee against abortion if you use Cattlemaster-gold-fp. I couldn't hear exactly what was being said, but HB was also covered using Cattlemaster-gold-fp even though it's not labeled as such.

Vince that is useful - SERIOUS.

I have looked at Cattlemaster FP 5 L5 many times and noticed that it does not state that it covers the L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo type 'hardjo-bovis' which is what the HB means. It is weird that the Cattlemaster FP 5 L5 covers HB but they fail to state that. I have read the entire manufacturer's information statement. It says it just covers the 5 Leptospira serovars.

Edited to add: I have identified several labeling flaws with Zoetis. I like their products but the packaging needs better quality control.

Bright Raven":3vyrwvqo said:
True Grit Farms":3vyrwvqo said:
Zoetis is making some kind of guarantee against abortion if you use Cattlemaster-gold-fp. I couldn't hear exactly what was being said, but HB was also covered using Cattlemaster-gold-fp even though it's not labeled as such.

Vince that is useful - SERIOUS.

I have looked at Cattlemaster FP 5 L5 many times and noticed that it does not state that it covers the L. borgpetersenii serovar hardjo type 'hardjo-bovis' which is what the HB means. It is weird that the Cattlemaster FP 5 L5 covers HB but they fail to state that. I have read the entire manufacturer's information statement. It says it just covers the 5 Leptospira serovars.

Edited to add: I have identified several labeling flaws with Zoetis. I like their products but the packaging needs better quality control.

I specifically asked the Zoetis southeast rep about HB protection not being in Cattlemaster-gold-fp, and it's available in Triangle 10 HB. I was hoping to catch up with the BI rep and ask him what he thought about Cattlemaster-gold-fp and the HB claim. It's all hearsay at this point, but I don't doubt the claim by Zoetis at all.