Mixture

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
what do you all think about mixing orchard grass,kentucky 31, perennial rye and ladino clover in a pasture good idea or bad?

May be different in VA but here the rye doesn;t put out squat for leaf and bolts to seed very quickly

gotcha someone else told me that... i am gonna get some kentucky 31 tomorrow and some ladino seed i gotta find some kentucy endophte free.. pardon the spelling

If the bag doesnt say endophte free should I assume its not? Also how bad for cattle is kentucky 31 with endophtes ? anyone got any feedback?

KY 31 is not going to be endophte free. As Dun said on another post if it wasn't for KY31 my cows would starve. It will withstand more abuse with less fertility than most other grasses. Some cattle have more problems with it than others. Search on this site for more info as there have been lots of posts about it.

If I remember correctly you have sandy soil so the fescue might not do well. Check with your local extension agent on this before buying it.

The mixture is good, the rye will die off in the heat, clover with dry weather , but I like that mixture and do it myself....

local county extension said I probably should only plant kentucky 31 and ladino clover and if i really wanted to plant orchard grass but wouldnt live due to fact if its gonna be trampled alot and it doesnt have a good drought tolerance...

skyhightree1":1tdceodo said:
what do you all think about mixing orchard grass,kentucky 31, perennial rye and ladino clover in a pasture good idea or bad?

I don't think I would include the rye - reason being is that it will quickly take over the pasture/field and choke out everything else.

msscamp":16gswudc said:
skyhightree1":16gswudc said:

I don't think I would include the rye - reason being is that it will quickly take over the pasture/field and choke out everything else.

Thank you for letting me know of this... I bought 600lbs of Kentucky 31 and 300lbs of ladino and will be putting it in soon.

Latest posts