Mixing wcs and whole corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Same here
Unless corn is a lot cheaper tgan wcs then I can't see a reason ???
Or need to feed more and limited out on the amount of wcs than can be feed per day ?

WCS is $190. ton. Corn is $160. ton. I know nothing about feeding cattle, and the feed analysis report for corn isn't that great. But corn works good as cattle feed or as part of a feed mixture.

callmefence":1bo013ju said:
I've been hearing about this. What would be the advantage over just wcs.
What would be the amount to feed on winter pasture
One reason I could think of for mixing it is IF the cattle won't eat straight cottonseed maybe they would eat I better with some corn in it especially if it's fine ground. Also it can be used to dilute the high protein of the whole cottonseed. Mixed half and half it would lower the protein from around 23% to about 15% but it would also lower the TDN and energy as WCS has higher TDN and energy than corn. NO need to go into starches etc. as we're feeding to compliment hay rather than fattening out steers.

TexasBred":2wr4uob7 said:
callmefence":2wr4uob7 said:
One reason I could think of for mixing it is IF the cattle won't eat straight cottonseed maybe they would eat I better with some corn in it especially if it's fine ground. Also it can be used to dilute the high protein of the whole cottonseed. Mixed half and half it would lower the protein from around 23% to about 15% but it would also lower the TDN and energy as WCS has higher TDN and energy than corn. NO need to go into starches etc. as we're feeding to compliment hay rather than fattening out steers.

Cottonseed alone can cause a basket of problems if feed alone in fertility and heart problems

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/an_sci/e ... hp95-1.htm

Caustic Burno":mwv9w37m said:
TexasBred":mwv9w37m said:
callmefence":mwv9w37m said:

Cottonseed alone can cause a basket of problems if feed alone in fertility and heart problems
You should use a limiter

You just have to stay within the limits of what can be fed per day to avoid gossypol toxicity.

Caustic Burno":1tr5g8kw said:
TexasBred":1tr5g8kw said:
callmefence":1tr5g8kw said:

Just limit the amount you make available. I've feed it up to 7-8 lbs per head per day to dairy cattle but it was mixed into aTMR. It will cause temporary sterility in bulls but it is only temporary. I never had any problems with fertility in the cows.

I mix them because ground corn is cheaper $140.00 ton to $180 a ton and also just to dilute the effects that can temporarily make a bull go sterile. I know it is temporary but I don't have time to deal with a bull shooting blanks be it temporarily or not.

u4411clb":3750ubrc said:
I mix them because ground corn is cheaper $140.00 ton to $180 a ton and also just to dilute the effects that can temporarily make a bull go sterile. I know it is temporary but I don't have time to deal with a bull shooting blanks be it temporarily or not.
That's good but hopefully you also have the vet do a BSE on them before breeding sysem.Probably won't ever have a problem but I'd want to know what I had before we started.

TexasBred":3nasjnao said:
u4411clb":3nasjnao said:
That's good but hopefully you also have the vet do a BSE on them before breeding sysem.Probably won't ever have a problem but I'd want to know what I had before we started.
I never had a problem with it mixing it 2-1 two parts CSM one salt as limiter test out 26 to 28% protein. Mine are used to CSM I wouldn't even think of using it without limiter.
Fence I also use a 2-1-1 mix 2 CSM 1 corn 1 salt blends to 15% protein

Bigfoot":16ht7bwm said:
If WCS wasn't fed, what would it be used for?

Maybe TB knows
But cotton seed oil and hulls for cattle feed,
It not for cattle feed then idk what it'd be good for other than oil

Cottonseed is your protein. Corn is your energy.
Takes energy to grow beef. Once grown protein is good for keeping cows in condition and milking.
I like feeding them togather and I grow both but cottonseed is to hard to handle and to expensive.
It's lower than its been in a while and still 200 a ton (which is bad for me cause I have quite a few tons selling) and ddg is 175 so thats my protein source. Now I have found soon corn gluten for 104 a ton so I'm going that way.
But anyway corn and cottonseed is a great feed and takes very little to set some grown cows in off. Milk production really kicks into high gear.

Caustic Burno":2weupiqv said:
Best way to use it or put it out is let the Mrs do it. It is unorthodox but who am I to complain.

I've tried that and it was a complete failure.

Your feeding free choice and using salt as a limiter. And using csm .Would that work with whole cottonseed..?

I think the cows could pick the cotton seed out of the salt.
There is a big ranch at home that fills the feed truck with wcs and feeds it with # 12 scoop on the roads.
Cows eat their fill and walk off.
They have lots of standing grass and when the piles disappear they go feed again.
Idk it that's normal but the pastures are 5-10 sections and very seldom see a man.
They turn in bulls
Gather bulls
Gather calves in the fall and ship dry cows.
Range cows that fend for themselves and raise a calf or is shipped

Bigfoot":2vun86mi said:
If WCS wasn't fed, what would it be used for?
Bigfoot oil mills crush them, extract the oil and also sell the left over cottonseed hulls and cottonseed meal. Cottonseed gets it's high energy level from the fat in it....corn from the starches in it and are digested differently. (another good reason to mix corn and wcs) Much more wcs is used for production of oil and then the hulls and meal sold that ever fed directly to cattle.

Latest posts