Mixing wcs and whole corn

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2ytwhhc8 said:
Bigfoot":2ytwhhc8 said:
If WCS wasn't fed, what would it be used for?
Bigfoot oil mills crush them, extract the oil and also sell the left over cottonseed hulls and cottonseed meal. Cottonseed gets it's high energy level from the fat in it....corn from the starches in it and are digested differently. (another good reason to mix corn and wcs) Much more wcs is used for production of oil and then the hulls and meal sold that ever fed directly to cattle.

Thanks. It's not available here, but at $190 a ton I figured it had value beyond the obvious.

jedstivers":24etphxg said:
In the past I've given cottonseed free choice, they will limit themselves. Can't do that with Bulls or if it's raining a lot.
Knew a guy that tried feeding it to deer on a high fence ranch. Put up a camera to watch.....all he saw was a bobcat using the trough full of cottonseed as a liter box. :lol2: :lol2:

Caustic Burno":2f0ye3w9 said:
Best way to use it or put it out is let the Mrs do it. It is unorthodox but who am I to complain.
CB is she finds out you put that pic on CT she's going to wear your old azz out kicking it. You can forget about Christmas. :lol2: :lol2:

TB I have been known to live on the edge if I catch her looking over the life insurance I will retreat and barricade in the man cave.
What I found comical was she had enough clothes for the artic circle wearing a pair of crocs.

Caustic Burno":exup4xu7 said:
TB I have been known to live on the edge if I catch her looking over the life insurance I will retreat and barricade in the man cave.
What I found comical was she had enough clothes for the artic circle wearing a pair of crocs.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Buying CSM + Salt at local feed mills. 2/1 and some 3/1. One of the mills adds whole corn in the 3/1 mix. Makes the 3/1 cheaper than the 2/1. Problem I have with the 3/1 with the whole corn is the cows think the whole corn is candy and will root the CSM + Salt out of the bunk looking for the corn.

OleScout":3s3s7qi4 said:
Buying CSM + Salt at local feed mills. 2/1 and some 3/1. One of the mills adds whole corn in the 3/1 mix. Makes the 3/1 cheaper than the 2/1. Problem I have with the 3/1 with the whole corn is the cows think the whole corn is candy and will root the CSM + Salt out of the bunk looking for the corn.

Most mills chop their corn. Makes it almost impossible to separate. An animal with big wide lips has a hard time sorting. Ordinarily they do more liking on a mix like this than biting.

I'm 30+ years gone from Alabama, and have spent most of that time where cotton isn't grown, and SBM is a more common protein source... however, I was under the impression (mistaken?) that most of the cotton varieties now grown in the USA have little to no gossypol in the seed... anybody know for sure?

Lucky_P":3gj5akqq said:
I'm 30+ years gone from Alabama, and have spent most of that time where cotton isn't grown, and SBM is a more common protein source... however, I was under the impression (mistaken?) that most of the cotton varieties now grown in the USA have little to no gossypol in the seed... anybody know for sure?
Gossypol is not nearly the problem it once was but still exists in all cotton. Upland cotton which is the primary cotton planted in the US has much less gossypol than Pima cotton. Upland is the normal fuzzy seed we seed but Pima is typically delinted (either mechanically or with acid) and sold as cracked or fine ground whole cottonseed. Gossypol will run 50% higher in Pima cottonseed. Cottonseed meal seldom has any real measurable amount of gossypol nor does cottonseed hulls but all are subject to being high in aflatoxin depending on growing conditions. Don't know that I've ever seen a cow even get sick from gossypol poisoning let alone die but it still exists.

TexasBred":2tnxdues said:
Lucky_P":2tnxdues said:
Gossypol is not nearly the problem it once was but still exists in all cotton. Upland cotton which is the primary cotton planted in the US has much less gossypol than Pima cotton. Upland is the normal fuzzy seed we seed but Pima is typically delinted (either mechanically or with acid) and sold as cracked or fine ground whole cottonseed. Gossypol will run 50% higher in Pima cottonseed. Cottonseed meal seldom has any real measurable amount of gossypol nor does cottonseed hulls but all are subject to being high in aflatoxin depending on growing conditions. Don't know that I've ever seen a cow even get sick from gossypol poisoning let alone die but it still exists.
I've heard the term,but what is gossypol?

RanchMan90":jpom1ln7 said:
TexasBred":jpom1ln7 said:
Lucky_P":jpom1ln7 said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gossypo ... ent=safari

jedstivers":2j06z3je said:
RanchMan90":2j06z3je said:
TexasBred":2j06z3je said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gossypo ... ent=safari
Does it have adverse effects?

Latest posts