Mixing own corn with ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We kept about 5,000 bu of corn this year to feed out with the market kinda going south this year. I was wondering what would be something cheap to mix with it to make it go a long way. I have access to candy, calcium, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, ect. at my local feed yard. I have a gehl mixer so I do plan on cracking/crushing the corn. Im just looking for a good mix that not going to break me, where my calves will gain about 3 lb a day. I can buy feed now that I know they will gain 3lb a day on for 170 a ton so im trying to stay under 100$ per ton doing it ourself.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last year we picked some ear corn and kept it and really liked it just didnt have time to put some up this year with weather conditions. We used to mix a crusher load (3600lb i believe) and add candy, soybean meal, and minierals. Going to just go back with that if I cant find any better mixes but always looking to improve!

Thanks

alwaysbehind09":zqc0ivu3 said:
We kept about 5,000 bu of corn this year to feed out with the market kinda going south this year. I was wondering what would be something cheap to mix with it to make it go a long way. I have access to candy, calcium, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, ect. at my local feed yard. I have a gehl mixer so I do plan on cracking/crushing the corn. Im just looking for a good mix that not going to break me, where my calves will gain about 3 lb a day. I can buy feed now that I know they will gain 3lb a day on for 170 a ton so im trying to stay under 100$ per ton doing it ourself.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last year we picked some ear corn and kept it and really liked it just didnt have time to put some up this year with weather conditions. We used to mix a crusher load (3600lb i believe) and add candy, soybean meal, and minierals. Going to just go back with that if I cant find any better mixes but always looking to improve!

Thanks

$100 a ton for the finished product?? You must not be putting much value on your corn. Cottonseed meal is a good protein source and usually most cost effective. Forget the candy and soybean meal as both will simply add cost to the mix. Check with a local feed mill that manufacturers their own feed. They should have a concentrated low inclusion vitamin and mineral premix that you can add to the mix for around $1.50 for each ton of finished feed. Then add your calcium but you'll still need a source for phosphorus and salt. Might be more simple to just buy some bagged 12-12 mineral and add to the mix calculating that each cow will need 4 oz. per head per day of the mineral.

Is the corn alone not worth more than a $100 a ton? TexasBred knows a lot more than me about feed, but I don't see what you can add to it that would be cheaper than corn. Lots of people here feed a mix of 1/3 corn, 1/3 soyhulls , and the other 1/3 either corn gluten or distillers grain, but I don't think you would get 3 pounds a day unless they are really pushed.

What kind of feed for $170? Lots cheaper than here.

tom4018":1o7a589s said:
Is the corn alone not worth more than a $100 a ton? TexasBred knows a lot more than me about feed, but I don't see what you can add to it that would be cheaper than corn. Lots of people here feed a mix of 1/3 corn, 1/3 soyhulls , and the other 1/3 either corn gluten or distillers grain, but I don't think you would get 3 pounds a day unless they are really pushed.

What kind of feed for $170? Lots cheaper than here.
Here too....corn is about the only thing less than $170...all other ingredients are $190 UP.

Thanks for all the replies. I have crunched some numbers and I have a little over $2.00 a bushel in the corn since we raised it ourself. So yes Im not valuing my corn at market price, im valuing it at what I have in it. I was just looking for mixing options that will save me money from our local feed mill. I am getting a feed from them now until I can get my mix figured out that they are gaining 3 lb a day on feeding 3-4% body weight and free choice hay. Really, Im trying to justify doing it ourself. I believe there is money to be saved with the right combination

alwaysbehind09":325hrxba said:
Thanks for all the replies. I have crunched some numbers and I have a little over $2.00 a bushel in the corn since we raised it ourself. So yes Im not valuing my corn at market price, im valuing it at what I have in it. I was just looking for mixing options that will save me money from our local feed mill. I am getting a feed from them now until I can get my mix figured out that they are gaining 3 lb a day on feeding 3-4% body weight and free choice hay. Really, Im trying to justify doing it ourself. I believe there is money to be saved with the right combination

In my opinion you have to value your corn at market value, because you can always sell it and buy feed.

Feeding 4% is pushing it some in my opinion.

Why not mix it in with the feed you already buy? Stretch it out so to speak, I assume that it already has enough protein 14%(?).

Latest posts