MIX30

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I am considering using Mix30 as a free choice supplement while feeding grass hay. Any problems feeding it free choice? It looks like it doesn't have any limiters in it. Salesman says there is none and cows will only consume as much as needed typically 2-4 lbs per day.
Thanks

We've fed it a couple of times during really nasty winters with ultra-crappy hay. The poorer the hay the more they ate but we never had a problem with them getting over fat or pigging out on the stuff.

We use Mix 30 and really like it. Around here it is difficult to get decent hay so the Mix 30 fills the bill. It really makes the cows go out and forage in the pastures. We feed it in an open top trough. Some feed it in a lick wheel trough which supposedly limits their intake some. We have found that placing it a great distance away from water discourages consumption. At times they will consume more than you would hope but they never go through it like they would a protein tub. We have found Mix 30 to be far more economical than tubs and the cattle seem to be much better satisfied on it.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Have you compared Mix30 to Purina's SupRLix liquid protein? Purina does use a limiter - fish oil, I think.

BeefmasterB":153rcri8 said:
Have you compared Mix30 to Purina's SupRLix liquid protein? Purina does use a limiter - fish oil, I think.
Different kind of product. Purina is protein and mix30 is energy

dun":7tgfkbm0 said:
BeefmasterB":7tgfkbm0 said:

But, Sup-R-Lix is 5% fat = energy and the protein helps keep body condition. :nod:

BeefmasterB":herce2g3 said:
dun":herce2g3 said:
BeefmasterB":herce2g3 said:

But, Sup-R-Lix is 5% fat = energy and the protein helps keep body condition. :nod:

Mix30 is 10% fat and 17% CP

We have never fed the Purina product but I suspect the Mix 30 is cheaper. The last we bought was $260/ton.

Farmgirl

does anyone know what this ways per gallon I was told by a neighbor that he was paying a $1 per lb for it if tru the cost is high if they eat 2-4lbs per day in my operation that would be $400-$800 pr day I could never afford this and don't see how anyone else can either

tubs are expensive but not nearly as expensive as that 30% crystalix is $.42 per lb and the eat 3/4 to 1 1/4 a day that is $.525 per hd pr day
Sweet pro poured blocks are $.30 pr lb and they consume 1 1/2 to 2lbs per day that is $.60pr hd pr day

I don't see how anyone can make these #s work JMO

Angus Cowman":1azf3ve3 said:
does anyone know what this ways per gallon I was told by a neighbor that he was paying a $1 per lb for it if tru the cost is high if they eat 2-4lbs per day in my operation that would be $400-$800 pr day I could never afford this and don't see how anyone else can either

tubs are expensive but not nearly as expensive as that 30% crystalix is $.42 per lb and the eat 3/4 to 1 1/4 a day that is $.525 per hd pr day
Sweet pro poured blocks are $.30 pr lb and they consume 1 1/2 to 2lbs per day that is $.60pr hd pr day

9.25 lbs per gallon
http://mix30.com/downloads/documents/Mi ... _Sheet.pdf

Farmgirl":3uoqwayu said:
We have never fed the Purina product but I suspect the Mix 30 is cheaper. The last we bought was $260/ton.

Farmgirl

It might be cheaper but what do you get? Mix30 has a Selenium content of .147 ppm whereas Sup-R-Lix is 1.0 ppm. In a Selenium deficient area, the difference is significant. Mix30 has a Manganese content of 12.7 ppm whereas Sup-R-Lix is 38 ppm. Potassium is .773% vs 2.1% with Purina. In addition. Mix 30 is 57% moisture compared to Purina's 29% moisture. There is no Vitamin A or D in Mix30 either.

Angus Cowman":1xjibxlh said:

Angus...friend works for Westway Trading...He has always said their liquid feed weighed 11.1 lbs. per gallon. I don't have any idea myself.

BeefmasterB":3fc3tpe1 said:
Farmgirl":3fc3tpe1 said:

Farmgirl

It might be cheaper but what do you get? Mix30 has a Selenium content of .147 ppm whereas Sup-R-Lix is 1.0 ppm. In a Selenium deficient area, the difference is significant. Mix30 has a Manganese content of 12.7 ppm whereas Sup-R-Lix is 38 ppm. Potassium is .773% vs 2.1% with Purina. In addition. Mix 30 is 57% moisture compared to Purina's 29% moisture. There is no Vitamin A or D in Mix30 either.

Don't know about the Purina moisture level as their website doesn't disclose this information. However, almost all the protein comes from urea, Mix-30 contains none but does contain some ammonium chloride. The correct selenium level for the Purina product is .1 ppm not 1.00 ppm. The potassium for the Purina product will be high because it is molasses based and molasses is extremely high in potassium. Does this high level of potassium serve a good purpose???? You also have between 1.75% and 2.25% calcium in the Purina product and calcium is dirt cheap. There is no mention of Vitamin D or E on the Purina website whereas Mix-30 guarantees 22.6 IU/lb of Vitamin E. The Mix 30 should provide over twice as much energy as the Sup-R-Lix.

Not sure additional Potassium is needed. Most hay is going to have plenty of Potassium in it. I was quoted a price of $175/ton which is about $0.81 per gallon for the MIX30. So at a consumption of 3 lbs per day that would be about $0.26/day.

TexasBred":3inpb8rs said:
BeefmasterB":3inpb8rs said:
Farmgirl":3inpb8rs said:

Farmgirl

Don't know about the Purina moisture level as their website doesn't disclose this information. However, almost all the protein comes from urea, Mix-30 contains none but does contain some ammonium chloride. The correct selenium level for the Purina product is .1 ppm not 1.00 ppm. The potassium for the Purina product will be high because it is molasses based and molasses is extremely high in potassium. Does this high level of potassium serve a good purpose???? You also have between 1.75% and 2.25% calcium in the Purina product and calcium is dirt cheap. There is no mention of Vitamin D or E on the Purina website whereas Mix-30 guarantees 22.6 IU/lb of Vitamin E. The Mix 30 should provide over twice as much energy as the Sup-R-Lix.

The tag sheet they faxed to me today says 1.0000 ppm. (call Customer Service and they'll send you one) And it also says 29% moisture. As well as the other numbers I stated. Does a higher lever of potassium serve a purpose. Maybe not unless there is a deficiency and you want to ramp them up quickly. Why does Purina does not add Vit. E to the supplement, I don't know. Why doesn't Mix30 include Vit. A and D?
Urea is not an issue with the Purina product due to the limiter. These numbers reflect the make-up of Sup-R-Lix2. They offer other versions with a different composition wheras Mix30 offers only one selection.

Urea shouldn't be an issue with any feed. Don't think anybody would knowingly put anything on the market that would kill an animal if fed according to directions. I've seen horses standing at lick tanks many times pigging out on urea based liquid feed with no adverse effects. As for the vitamin/mineral levels in the two mixes the zinc, copper and manganese is also a non-issue due to the low levels. I'd make free choice mineral avaialable especially if I were feeding any kind of liquid supplement to keep them from over eating supplement while trying to satisfy mineral needs.

TexasBred":a62deml6 said:
Urea shouldn't be an issue with any feed. Don't think anybody would knowingly put anything on the market that would kill an animal if fed according to directions. I've seen horses standing at lick tanks many times pigging out on urea based liquid feed with no adverse effects. As for the vitamin/mineral levels in the two mixes the zinc, copper and manganese is also a non-issue due to the low levels. I'd make free choice mineral avaialable especially if I were feeding any kind of liquid supplement to keep them from over eating supplement while trying to satisfy mineral needs.

Good point TB!! I keep minerals out all year and it never ceases to amaze how the cattle go right to it when they need to. Particularly this time of year when grass nutritional content is declining.

Latest posts