Mix 30 Liquid cattle feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Dsteim

Reaction score
I've been looking for different feed options for my cattle, does anyone have any experience with Mix 30 cattle feed?

Fed it a couple of years ago. Go product, cows did well on it. Dealer quit so it isn;t available around here anymore.

We are thinking about getting some this week and try it for some older cows we have and mix a small percentage into our corn and gin trash based feed for backgrounding. I would like to know everyones experience with it.

We have tried almost all of the liquid feed options that are available... what I will tell you is to know what your cattle requirements are (minerals, vitamins, protein, etc.) and compare that against the label on the product. But more importantly, you will need to know what the intake of the product is to reach those requirements (pounds per day). Since all products are different, you may be surprised at how much your cows would have to eat to reach your desired goals.

We have been using Loomix (Ore-Bac Sweet mixed with Bitter) for the past two years and have been extremely satisfied with the results. As mentioned above, we are able to control consumption with the Loomix to around 1- 1/2lbs per day per cow and providing that cow with all the supplemental nutrition she needs. A lot of products on the market today can not control consumption and require 3-5 lbs per day per cow to reach their labels.

Do your homework and good luck with whatever you decide to use.

We've been using it for years. We feed it to our mature cows and bred heifers. For the price, I don't think you can beat it. In general, they seem to go through it a bit slower than the licks made from molasses. We have our spring calving cows on our mostly dormant bermuda hay field and mix 30..they are almost all high 5's and 6's. They weighed about 250# more when we worked them this year than they did last year, on mostly dry grass and Mix 30. As far as using it in a ration, some friends of ours did it one year and they were disappointed. I guess it depends on what kind of gains you want. I think they were getting around 2#/day with theirs.

I ordered a ton of it today, I have a first calf heifer that calved last month and she's not keeping her weight, we currently have free choice hay out and feed cubes a few times a week, any recommendations on what to hold it in?

most use a wheel lick. I posted plans a while back on building a homemade wheel lick. Ill try and find it. they make plastic ones for around 300 bucks

Ibc totes work well. That's what I use to refill the tank. The molasses supplier might get stuck with his rig so I just have him fill up the tote half way. Then lift it with the tractor forks onto the truck. Once I get there I just hook a 2" PVC pipe to the tote and Gravity feed it into the tank

Hook":11n0bkq8 said:
dun":11n0bkq8 said:
We just used open topped 150 gallon water tanks
What about rain getting in them? Did it ferment
Never had a problem with it. Some days the stuff on the surface was a little thin from the rain but it sure didn;t seem to bother the cows.
Only raw back to the open top is having to occasioanlly fish out birds that had gottne in and drowned and if it was near a fence having to fish out the rare drowned possum.

Was there any adjustment period for the cows as far as getting used to eating it? I bought a lick tub a few months back and the cows don't want anything to do with it. I don't mind paying for the ton as long as they'll eat it, I'd rather not be stuck with a ton of Mix 30 that they want nothing to do with.

Dsteim":2iivc4ju said:
Was there any adjustment period for the cows as far as getting used to eating it? I bought a lick tub a few months back and the cows don't want anything to do with it. I don't mind paying for the ton as long as they'll eat it, I'd rather not be stuck with a ton of Mix 30 that they want nothing to do with.
they should all eat it without a problem. You can probably expect them to eat a lot to start with and then taper it down to a normal level. You will be able to pick the ones that over did it and don't stand behind them.

Spoke with the molasses delivery guy and he said an open top tank works great. And if you cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the tank. It will float on top and the cows can bump it to get what they need. He also said the wood wasn't necessary since the rain water will float on top and the cows will drink it first. The only time the mako assets goes bad is if water sits on it and the cows aren't using it.

Hook":34mty2ns said:
Spoke with the molasses delivery guy and he said an open top tank works great. And if you cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the tank. It will float on top and the cows can bump it to get what they need. He also said the wood wasn't necessary since the rain water will float on top and the cows will drink it first. The only time the mako assets goes bad is if water sits on it and the cows aren't using it.
One thing that isn;t ever addressed is that if it sits for several months without being eaten it will seperate a little. The tanks when half full are too heavy to move and during the summer the cows were rotated away fomr the tanks for months at a time. We only really needed it during the winters. When it seperated, the heaviest stuff sinks and the liquid on top is a little thin. I took an electric trolling motor and popped it into the tank and ran it for about 10 minutes. It stirs it back up nicely, kind of like using one of the electric paint stirrers.

Latest posts