Missouri sales

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
My neighbor is wanting to sell either beefy black and red heifers, or older holstein cross cows. She is going to be short on hay, and needs to cut back her herd anyways. Anybody got any ideas which would be better to sell? I know the market is in the toilet, but I thought I had heard slaughter cows were still bringing fairly good.

My BIL sold some beef heifers, probably 1.5 years old a few weeks back,(that did not get bred) and only got .50 a lb, he was very dissapointed.

GMN

GMN":300mb9is said:
My neighbor is wanting to sell either beefy black and red heifers, or older holstein cross cows. She is going to be short on hay, and needs to cut back her herd anyways. Anybody got any ideas which would be better to sell? I know the market is in the toilet, but I thought I had heard slaughter cows were still bringing fairly good.

My BIL sold some beef heifers, probably 1.5 years old a few weeks back,(that did not get bred) and only got .50 a lb, he was very dissapointed.

GMN
she will take less loss on selling the holsteins
If the black and red hfrs weigh 600 she will probably only get 80 cents for them the holsteins will prob bring 30

Angus Cowman":1t53c73u said:
GMN":1t53c73u said:

GMN
she will take less loss on selling the holsteins
If the black and red hfrs weigh 600 she will probably only get 80 cents for them the holsteins will prob bring 30

Do you think the cows eat more than the heifers? Her cows are fairly good size, 1100-1200 maybe more, I know cull prices have been higher in the past few months. I'm just trying to get a feel for what to tell her.

I am sure the hieifers weigh that or more.What if they do weigh more than 600, the price will be less per pound, but how much less?

GMN

If the heifers weigh as much as the cows they will probably bring a decent price as slaughter heifers. Last couple of weeks they were $75-80 cwt. Cull cows will probably be in the $35-45 cwt range. Price on the heifers will depend upon quality. Which market is she palnning on taking them to?

blacksnake":2cemgq2k said:
If the heifers weigh as much as the cows they will probably bring a decent price as slaughter heifers. Last couple of weeks they were $75-80 cwt. Cull cows will probably be in the $35-45 cwt range. Price on the heifers will depend upon quality. Which market is she palnning on taking them to?

Buffalo, MO. , is where she likes to sell.

GMN