Missing momma on mommas day

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score

Well, after a little tribulation, got the babies separated and moved to the homeplace , let the serenade begin .

Txpiney":2w5ar4p0 said:
How smooth was it this time, at least a little easier???
I had help scheduled sat morning ,and the cows didn't like the looks of the one ton and trailer , so went back that evening in my s10, drove up in the field and they couldn't wait to get in the corral . Separated , by myself (kudos to me for corral design) insert dancing banana , drove home ,got the hauler , and thank goodness my cousin was home , who is a great hand. We gave second round , steered and tagged in about an hour . Had a little trouble loading in the trailer , (Im not finished with the load out chute , so the way we did it had the sun in their eyes , on me) but they are almost settled down . I walked through them this evening and by tomorrow , i figure all heads down eating . I know it's hard to tell , but some of the boys are real bruisers. I am pretty proud of em, probably the best bunch we've had here .

snoopdog":ura422w1 said:
Txpiney":ura422w1 said:
How smooth was it this time, at least a little easier???
I had help scheduled sat morning ,and the cows didn't like the looks of the one ton and trailer , so went back that evening in my s10, drove up in the field and they couldn't wait to get in the corral . Separated , by myself (kudos to me for corral design) insert dancing banana , drove home ,got the hauler , and thank goodness my cousin was home , who is a great hand. We gave second round , steered and tagged in about an hour . Had a little trouble loading in the trailer , (Im not finished with the load out chute , so the way we did it had the sun in their eyes , on me) but they are almost settled down . I walked through them this evening and by tomorrow , i figure all heads down eating . I know it's hard to tell , but some of the boys are real bruisers. I am pretty proud of em, probably the best bunch we've had here .
Glad it went well. I never pull my trailer either when I'm going to pen, work or load them. I don't change ANYTHING from when I just bring them in the pen to cube them because they know it's something different. The older ones are the first to alert if anything is out of the normal routine. It's a pain, but it's pretty flawless. Them calves do look nice. Give em about 3 days and the bawling wil stop and it's back to quite.

Nice calves!

Do a lot of folks not castrate until they are that age? Find it way easier to band at birth here.

gcreekrch":3tykql65 said:
Nice calves!

Do a lot of folks not castrate until they are that age? Find it way easier to band at birth here.
Normally, the only time I band is when I work them in the spring, then in the fall

Txpiney":1c1so6t6 said:
gcreekrch":1c1so6t6 said:
Nice calves!

Normally, the only time I band is when I work them in the spring, then in the fall
We used to band day 1 or 2, castrate the ones we missed when we worked them at appx 3 months. But with my husband out of commission it's generally just me and I pick my battles so all are banded with an XL bander when I have a crew working them, again at 3 months. Anything cryptorchid or considerably older gets cut.

gcreekrch":qoeu738k said:
Nice calves!

Thank You , and we used to band at birth , circumstances didn't allow it this time . I don't think I will again. I believe that they benefit , as far as ww goes , from being boys awhile , now, I don't know where the diminishing returns fall. Our situation here this year was unique and this was as fast as we could get it done . Hopefully , next year we can plan our work and work our plan . If we don't get too many curve balls .

Latest posts