Missing hair around eye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm working on becoming more educated with my cows. I recently noticed two of my cows have hair missing around the eyes. I recently treated another cow in the herd for pink eye but this looks different. Is this a disease? Could anyone give me information on what I should be researching to solve the problem?

I would lean towards lice. Two treatments will generally take care of them. One to kill the live ones, one to kill those that have hatched

dun

I'd cast my vote for ring worm. I know on calves it happens in the late fall or early winter, and affects them around the eye. It it kinda crusty looking?

You can treat it with iodine but be very careful for the eye which I am sure you already know. Also make sure you remove any scabs or crusty stuff with soap & water before you apply the iodine .

if it is gray and crusty... ring worm is my guess as well, this time of yr is the prime time. When worling with it, you have to scrape off the crust, almost till bloddy, and allpy iodine, bleach or other comercial product, BUT around the eyes.....yikes! sunshine helps to clear it up as well
Remember.very very contagous, cattle and YOU!

Thank you for the responses. I do appreciate the help.

The area is gray and crusty looking. I will try the iodine treatment. I plan on using a Q-Tip during application so I won't harm the eye.

I just have to say, I have been looking into the Q&A boards posted here. I think this site is one of the best I have found on the internet. Thanks again for your help.

For what it's worth, every year we end up with few yearlings with ringworm patches around the eye and we just let them be. They seem to get over it within a couple of months.

If you're looking to treat it, an anti-fungicide like absorbine jr will work.

Take care.

I have the same problem with my replacement heifers this year. And treating 50 head is not worth it money wise. There is something you mix in the feed, then repeat in 5 days, griseofulvin, says it's for horses but you can use it on cattle. Iodine for a week, bleach 25% with water 75%. Cream for althletes foot, and jock itch, also the cream for yeast infection. These were recomended by my vet, when I gave up on treating all 50 head, but asked about options for my two purebred heifers. Wear gloves!

Dee":2nd3e92v said:
I have the same problem with my replacement heifers this year. And treating 50 head is not worth it money wise. There is something you mix in the feed, then repeat in 5 days, griseofulvin, says it's for horses but you can use it on cattle. Iodine for a week, bleach 25% with water 75%. Cream for althletes foot, and jock itch, also the cream for yeast infection. These were recomended by my vet, when I gave up on treating all 50 head, but asked about options for my two purebred heifers. Wear gloves!

Did you obtain the Griseofulvin from your vet? I have been looking for it online and have found it for humans, but not horses. I haven't tried my vet yet, but wanted to see if I could find it discounted elsewhere first.

i'll vote for ringworm also. tried about everything you could think of over the years. finally one old farmer said to put used motor oil on it. never had an animal it didn't work on. cheap too!

This is the time of winter when we usually see lice. A patch missing around the eyes is frequently the first real signs. Ringowrm usually isn't that equally distributed. But we haven't had ringworm in probably 20 years and we did have lice several years ago. And the first indication I noticed was the circles around the eyes. Then I saw the eggs in the ears, pretty much a dead giveaway.

dun

Latest posts