Missing Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
My cows calve in the fall and one cow had twins alongside a corn field. The next day I could only find one of the twins. We were chopping at the time and I figured it was just hiding somewhere. I never did find that missing calf. Last night I went to feed corn silage and the dogs came with as usual; before I started loading I see one of the dogs chewing on what I thought was a frozen chuck of silage. I took a scope and dumped it in the wagon and the dog jumped into the wagon in search of what she was chewing on. When I finished loading and started back out with the feed wagons the dog jumps out carrying the lower part of a calf's leg. So it looks like I found my missing calf - not a good feeling. :oops:

ChrisB":1b43mdi6 said:
My cows calve in the fall and one cow had twins alongside a corn field. The next day I could only find one of the twins. We were chopping at the time and I figured it was just hiding somewhere. I never did find that missing calf. Last night I went to feed corn silage and the dogs came with as usual; before I started loading I see one of the dogs chewing on what I thought was a frozen chuck of silage. I took a scope and dumped it in the wagon and the dog jumped into the wagon in search of what she was chewing on. When I finished loading and started back out with the feed wagons the dog jumps out carrying the lower part of a calf's leg. So it looks like I found my missing calf - not a good feeling. :oops:

Losing a twin is pretty common from what I've always been told and read about on these boards.

I haven't had many twins (and I like it that way), but I think it's pretty common for the cow to reject one of them.

ChrisB":2udh4lju said:

Common for a cow to reject a twin

If you are not on top of it you can lose it easily

Many here will tell you that their cows will always accept a twin

Some day that old bossy might just change her mind and kick that twin off

It happens

They die if you do not feed them because once she makes up her mind it is a done deal

Cheers

Bez

I have one in the barn now. Mom rejected her but took her sister . Pretty common for cow to reject one .. I've only had 1 cow that I can remember raise both.

I'm sorry about your calf

My grandpa once put a deer fawn through a chopper.... tho i don't think they found anything that even remotely looked like a leg.

He felt bad for a while too, but it would easy to do when they are hunkered down trying to hide, so don't feel too bad.

At least you still got the one. too bad u lost the other one. Its tough to make a cow take both when they have twins. I have done it a few times, but its not an easy chore. Usually best to sell one as a bottle calf.

Curtis36":5rhfzkn2 said:
I'm sorry about your calf

My grandpa once put a deer fawn through a chopper.... tho i don't think they found anything that even remotely looked like a leg.

He felt bad for a while too, but it would easy to do when they are hunkered down trying to hide, so don't feel too bad.

Yea, I'm not totally convinced it went through the chopper, but I think it must have at least been buried while we were packing because the leg and cuts looked fresh, and I know it came out of the pile. I'll guess I'll wait and see if more parts keep turning up throughout the winter.

As far as the cow rejecting it, I guess I don't know. I have a small herd of 60 cows and for some reason had 5 sets of twins this year, 2 of the cows took and kept both calves, I have 2 bucket calves, and the other cow had them dead on arrival.

Hate you lost a calf ChrisB. Once I had a new born that was perfectly fine one day and the next it had a severely crushed and mangled leg. My neighbor was bush hogging and I suspect he backed over it. Those that have 'em can lose. Those that don't won't. Still doesn't make it easy.

fitz

Aaron":fdfwgemj said:
It's a blessing in disguise. Twins are a pain.

They sure can be in these hollows. These days if I have one twin I'll leave her with the one she took, large or small, bottle feed the cast off until it takes the bottle well then sell it.
If she accepts them both I let her have at it and monitor her condition. It can still be a pain if she can't keep them together.

fitz

Latest posts