missing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad & brother had a real nasty encounter with a limo bull ,they had leased.. they got out of the truck to check cows. And he charged them. They got under the truck and away from him.He beat the dickens out of that old truck for awhile then left.

Needless to say no Limos here today............... :) :)

I know this is crazy but try letting the 500 pounder out with her, should bring her back in or at least make her visible, so be it that the 500 pounder is trained well enough to come when you call or ratlle the bucket. Single cattle are harder than heck to do anything with, usually takes an older stupider buddy to bring them around. After that pen her up for a couple weeks and wean her. She was probably weaned on wheels and you ended up with her. If you have to keep her in the trailer until you think she's ready.

Anytime we wean calves we pen them up for @ 2 weeks. During this time we can work, brand, and wean them to where we can keep an eye on 'em. This goes double for calves from out of herd (bought at a sale barn, private treaty, or video auction) so that if they get shipping fever or anything else we can catch it real right quick and in a hurry like. Also I have alot of respect for all of you swampland ranchers. Them calves can clear a 7' fence like a deer. Don't know how you get them loaded.
To answer your original question I would find em, load em, and haul em off.

To all who responded thanks for the input. I have found the calf and got her back into the pasture. She has been back nearly four days now and has not got over 10 feet away from the other cows.

I wasn't able to rope her once she was found...she wouldn't let me get close enough. My brother and I had to walk her about a mile through six foot tall milo. Once she broke the milo and the tree line at the pasture she realized where she was and made a beline for the pasture. She proceeded to trying to get back through the fence (which she could not). I finally caught up and opened the gate and she ran to the herd. No more bellowing or looking. I think she'll be fine now, however, this is the last chance next time Mr Remington is going to deal with her.

JB

Latest posts