Missing calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

I have spent a lot of time looking, lots of thick woods with undergrowth surrounding the pasture. No need to be a smart a__!
If it is dead it's my loss and not yours, but I guess you are the best there is.
Turn the cow out in the woods !!!!!!!!

Had a calf I didn't see for a few days, same situation. It slid through the fence, went across the road and hid in a cornfield. Momma never got concerned, I watched her and finally caught the little devil sneaking back in when momma called her over.

tom4018> I doubt if there is anyone on these forums or off who has been involved with a cow calf operation that has
not lost a calf, including yours truly. In fact I wrote of one incident that happened to turn out well on these
pages. I remember some that did not turn out well. I have never claimed to be the best (at anything) which
leaves your sophomoric comment unnecessary and out of place. The statement was matter of fact and will
stand on its own merit. Either way it turns out I hope you find the calf. We're done...LVR

tom4018> I doubt if there is anyone on these forums or off who has been involved with a cow calf operation that has
not lost a calf, including yours truly. In fact I wrote of one incident that happened to turn out well on these
pages. I remember some that did not turn out well. I have never claimed to be the best (at anything) which
leaves your sophomoric comment unnecessary and out of place. The statement was matter of fact and will
stand on its own merit. Either way it turns out I hope you find the calf. We're done...LVR
You came across pretty harsh not knowing the efforts someone had put into finding the calf. I was basically trying to see how long others had seen one stay missing. My comment was not the way I normally am, just yours rubbed me the wrong way. I apologize. Just too many people get an attitude on the internet.

I've had em show up after 3 or 4 days when I was sure they were a goner. We have one cow that we named "Bad Momma" cause hers seem to get lost every year and she shows no concern. But every year they end up making it to the sale. We quit looking after the second year.

@tom4018 even with first calf heifers, if you've seen the calf with her & the herd for 2 weeks and it suddenly goes missing, something's wrong. Even if she's not bawling. She's either separated the calf from the herd because she knows it's sick or injured or it's out & she knows where it is. In either case, monitor her bag closely - that will tell you a lot.

A couple of years ago I was missing a 4 weight calf. I found the front half from bottom of ribcage to nose left in the pasture. I moved the cows that night because I had about 10 little ones. I did not get to move the carcass. Next morning the rest was gone, not a sign of anything.. No one never heard any barking or anything...

If it's black with a white mottle face, it's here on my place.

I've had a few that just 'disappeared' over the years, always less than 2 weeks old and it bugs the crap out of me. Never knowing what happened. No carcass, no bones, no nothing, just "gone". I sometimes wondered if someone didn't come in and take the calf.

I routinely have cows that hide their calves in the woods during the day, but call them back into the pasture at night. Usually only for the first week.

So has the calf been found?
Just found a little while ago. It was laying at the edge of the pasture. A spot that I had been by numerous times so it had to come out of hiding. Really dehydrated and covered with maggots. Was able to walk. Time will tell if it makes it. Doing everything I know to do for it. I have saved worse ones but also lost calves in better shape.

Glad you found it ! Make sure it is getting fluids ; milk and possibly some electrolytes. I have bought children's pediolytes and given with success. I had a maggot issue with a calf this summer ; evidently mom didn't get her cleaned up good when she was born . Almost all the hair has grown back except a spot on her tail head .

Have your vet show you how to give fluids. It's saved quite a few critters at my place. Easy to do, especially if they are really down!
Ivermectin on the skin will help with maggots. Make sure you scrape off all of the eggs too.
Glad you found him!!

Glad you found it. Peroxide is good to kind of boil the maggots out, especially if they have maggots bad around their tails and rectum. I spray them good with the Pro-zap screw worm fly spray when they have maggots. I've had mixed success when finding calves with maggots, especially if its been a while. I give them LA 200 or 300 to to help with infections, a lot times there will be infected navel.

Just found a little while ago. It was laying at the edge of the pasture. A spot that I had been by numerous times so it had to come out of hiding. Really dehydrated and covered with maggots. Was able to walk. Time will tell if it makes it. Doing everything I know to do for it. I have saved worse ones but also lost calves in better shape.
I've been there.
The last one I had disappeared. Never did find it. Never even seen it! Mama went down the road. Glad you were able to find it and get it some help. Sure makes a guy feel better when they do all they can do, weather it works or not.

Hoping for the best for ya! And that calf.

Glad you found it. At least you know what happened to it. Is it navel ill? Or where are the maggots feasting?
Like I said, glad you found it. It will still bug the hell out of you if you loose it regardless, but at least you know and it didn't just disappear.

Latest posts