Missing calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Had a 2 week old calf disappear, ever seen one disappear and come back later? If so how long? Heifer/momma does not seem to concerned. Saw calf right before dark last night, came some storms before daylight and haven't seen the calf during several searches. wondering if it got down in water and may float up later, but only a couple spots it may have gotten in water over knee deep. Really confused as to what happened to it. Calf proabaly weighed 65 pound when born, would a coyote be able to drag one 2 weeks old off?

Has her teats been cleaned lately? Can you tell if she's been sucked?
She looks pretty full, checked a few times today and no sign of the calf. One quarter may look a little less full than the rest. saw the calf right before dark last night, with the herd and nothing seemed wrong.

It happens, hopefully it will show up. I would check early of a morning and late evening to see if you hear the cow or calf bawling. We have had them get over in a neighbors field through a place where a branch runs under the fence in low places. Notice her udder if it looks full.

No. If if got under a fence it would be in some thick woods. It is not out in open pasture for sure, walked a lot looking in the woods. It has me puzzled.
That's the situation we have is the neighbor's farm is grown up into a wilderness and hard to find anything if it gets over there. We keep a pretty close watch on the fences there because it's a nightmare.

I would check early of a morning and late evening to see if you hear the cow or calf bawling.
Yes. I had a calf crawl out into a different wooded pasture. The second day the calf would bawl. I tracked it down and carried it back. The cow was not overtly vocal, but stood steadfast at the fence with head up and eyes staring.

I agree that mama most likely knows where her calf is if she isn't bawling. But that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the calf - pneumonia, lame, scours, etc. I would definitely watch her/follow her.

A mature, male coyote usually weighs less than 50 lbs.

At 2 weeks old a healthy calf should be able to avoid coyotes especially if it stays with the herd. Here in the eastern part of the state coyotes are thick and a lot of times run in pairs or groups. In numbers they can work like a pack of wolves. When we and neighbors had sheep we lost some mature ewes to them and the neighbor lost a ram.
Another possibility is that around here we have sink holes and it's not uncommon for calves to fall down in those.

No sign of calf this morning, momma doesn't seem concerned. Calf had been staying with another calf the same age, it acted normal. Heifer's bag looks pretty full, teats look clean but with the wet grass hard to say. I don't like the fact she isn't concerned, make me wonder about her mothering ability. Had a calf years ago that I actually spooked and it ran off in the woods, cow bawled for it for about a day and it showed up. Not heard her do anything. she may earn herself a one way ride.

I know the scenario all too well. Drives me insane and I go on crazy goosehunts through rough terrain. Only to find out later that I drove right by it a dozen times. Heifers are funny, some don't care to stick with their calf in the first year all that much. Doesn't mean they don't feed it and take care of it.
If she doesn't start bawling because her bag is overfull and hurting......... only then I would start and worry.
What other predators do you have where you live? A single coyote isn't going to take on a 2 week old calf unless it's sick and he is starving. So I don't think that's it.
Keep us updated.
P.S.: How big of an area is the pasture?

The calf is dead or it ain't. Get off the computer and go look for it if you think it is still alive.

I know the scenario all too well. Drives me insane and I go on crazy goosehunts through rough terrain. Only to find out later that I drove right by it a dozen times. Heifers are funny, some don't care to stick with their calf in the first year all that much. Doesn't mean they don't feed it and take care of it.
If she doesn't start bawling because her bag is overfull and hurting......... only then I would start and worry.
What other predators do you have where you live? A single coyote isn't going to take on a 2 week old calf unless it's sick and he is starving. So I don't think that's it.
Keep us updated.
P.S.: How big of an area is the pasture?
Dogs would be a bigger concern.

The calf is dead or it ain't. Get off the computer and go look for it if you think it is still alive.
I have spent a lot of time looking, lots of thick woods with undergrowth surrounding the pasture. No need to be a smart a__!
If it is dead it's my loss and not yours, but I guess you are the best there is.

Latest posts