Miracles still do exist!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer that had a calf hanging out the head, and one foot, the other foot was caught inside, and the tongue was swelled and blue-Not good!

The Vet came out, and he had to fenagle the other leg, to get it straightened, and then pull the calf out. When he was doing it, I thought I saw its eyelid twitch, but just figured it was a reflex.

He got the calf out, and beleive it or not, it was still alive, swelled up tongue and all. It immediately started moving around, when I cleaned its mouth out, and then the Mom, came by and started licking it off. I told the Vet, it was a miracle, I for sure thought the calf was dead. He had his son with him, and I told him, can U believe that, and he was even kind of blown away.

GMN

I am just so glad he got here when he did, and it all owrked out!

It seems if a cow/calf wants to live, you can hardly kill it, but if it wants to die, you can't do enough to save it.

brandonm_13":2u3qo6w7 said:
It seems if a cow/calf wants to live, you can hardly kill it, but if it wants to die, you can't do enough to save it.

you got that right

Good for you! :clap: With all the complaining going on (I do way more than my fair share). Its nice to read something good on here.

Walt

I believe and will, always believe, that if a calf has any sign of life, it can be saved with enough attention. I have lost a few that I thought should have lived under this belief, but I don't ever give up until they are dead. gs

I have to disagree with you there, greg.

I too, will work on any animal that shows signs of life. But there are some that are just not going to make it, plain and simple. I had 3 kids born premmie by emergency caesar last year, they all had strong heart beats and even kicked around a little after birth, I worked on them for forty minutes, stimulating them, they never did start to breath properly. They had a few gulps but ultimately, their lungs werent properly developed and by an hour they were all three dead.

Last night I tubed it with the mothers colustrum, poor things jaw and neck are terribly swollen. I have hope that he will survive, even if he doesn't, it sure was a awesome thing to see, and something I will remember for a long time.

Gail

Grandpa always said where there's life, there's hope. These words have never steered me wrong. Keep working on him, you have a good chance. I always hate the feeling that I could have done more but didn't. Try and failed is always better. Good luck!

The calf did not make it, I figure it may have had brain damage, or the stress of it all was just too much for it.

GMN

Sorry for your loss, sometimes bad stuff just happens. You gave it a fighting try...and at least you saved your heifer.

donnaIL":k1lm19we said:
Sorry for your loss, sometimes bad stuff just happens. You gave it a fighting try...and at least you saved your heifer.

That is very true, she is doing real good, slowly getting use to coming into the barn.

GMN

GMN":o5zsjxru said:
The calf did not make it, I figure it may have had brain damage, or the stress of it all was just too much for it.

GMN

Whatever the reason was, you made every effort to give the little guy a shot at living. Soemtimtes it doesn't work, then other times it does.

Sorry he didn't make it, but gld the heifer is okay.

Katherine

Latest posts