Mintrate Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am getting ready to go pick up more Moorman's Mintrate blocks. I like the blocks except for how the cattle will roll it out on the ground. I have the block in the mineral feeder with the top that turns with the weather conditions, but they still continue to push it out. I thought about putting it in something a lot deeper or build a box with a lip around it that wouldn't let it roll over the edge, or putting up a plastic barrel and cutting a hole in it big enough for them to stick their heads in, and hang it on the wall. Does anyone have any luck with stopping this kind of waste?

Chuckie":2poplfas said:
I am getting ready to go pick up more Moorman's Mintrate blocks. I like the blocks except for how the cattle will roll it out on the ground. I have the block in the mineral feeder with the top that turns with the weather conditions, but they still continue to push it out. I thought about putting it in something a lot deeper or build a box with a lip around it that wouldn't let it roll over the edge, or putting up a plastic barrel and cutting a hole in it big enough for them to stick their heads in, and hang it on the wall. Does anyone have any luck with stopping this kind of waste?

We use the hanging barrels for loose minerals. If you make the lip high enough they shouldn;t be able to get in and push the block around too much.

dun

dun's barrel device is probably best, but I was too cheap and lazy to go out and get some barrels, so I 've just used old tires as follows:

get an old tire and cut off the wall on one side and then turn the tire inside out. (but I guess you could really just skip the turning inside out routine). bolt the tire onto some marine grade plywood. when you are finished you have what looks like a big rubber bowl sitting on top of a piece of plywood. To make the plywood last longer get it off the ground by cutting up a treated landscape timber and nailing the plywood to a couple of strips of 2 or 3 feet long landscape timbers, so that only the landscape timbers make contact with the ground. Drill a few small holes in the plywood to assist in draining rainwater from the bowl.

Latest posts