Miniture Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

A lot of the disposition in all cattle is breed oriented. But, in all breeds there are calm animals and nuts. I've spoken to folks with Miniature Herefords and they seem to be as calm as the full size animals. How they are handled has a lot to do with it also, even calm placid animals can become nut cases if hoorayed and cowboyed.

dunmovin farms

> Doese any one know which breed of
> miniture cattle would be the most
> timmid? I want to get a pair that
> would be gentle 'roun children.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I have Miniature Herefords for 4-H and they are real good with kids.

> A lot of the disposition in all
> cattle is breed oriented. But, in
> all breeds there are calm animals
> and nuts. I've spoken to folks
> with Miniature Herefords and they
> seem to be as calm as the full
> size animals. How they are handled
> has a lot to do with it also, even
> calm placid animals can become nut
> cases if hoorayed and cowboyed.

> dunmovin farms
 
OP
A

Anonymous

We have Dexters (small, but not miniature)...no matter what size or how "tame" they are, if you're out in the field with them, and they want to move, they do, and it doesn't matter if you're in their way. It could be simply to brush a fly off...they may not intend to hurt you, but even these small cows are bigger and stronger than we are...I am very cautious about giving them treats, especially in groups...it can easily turn into a "feeding frenzy" when one cow wants to "horn" in on another...(ours have horns). One on one is easier to manage, but I don't know that I'd recommend one as a child's pet, and certainly not without adult supervision at all times.

> Doese any one know which breed of
> miniture cattle would be the most
> timmid? I want to get a pair that
> would be gentle 'roun children.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I have observed that the SMALLER the breed is within a species, the nastier their temperament. Now guys, I'm not breed bashing - just commenting on my observations. Like in horses - draft horse so calm, shetland ponies nasty. Dogs - St Bernards - slobbering sweet - Chiwawa (sp?) nasty Ever notice that???? What's with this "password" ??? Guess I missed something. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.simmevalley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.simmevalley.com</A>

> A lot of the disposition in all
> cattle is breed oriented. But, in
> all breeds there are calm animals
> and nuts. I've spoken to folks
> with Miniature Herefords and they
> seem to be as calm as the full
> size animals. How they are handled
> has a lot to do with it also, even
> calm placid animals can become nut
> cases if hoorayed and cowboyed.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I wonder if it isn't a lot in houw they are handled. Chihuahuas are babied St. Barnyards aren't cause they are so big. The meanest dairy breed I've seen are Jerseys but I've seen a Holstein or two that would make the goofiest Jersey seem like a pussycat. It could be too, they've bred for single trait for so long that the brains are gone and disposition selection wasn't in the equation.

dunmovin farms

> I have observed that the SMALLER
> the breed is within a species, the
> nastier their temperament. Now
> guys, I'm not breed bashing - just
> commenting on my observations.
> Like in horses - draft horse so
> calm, shetland ponies nasty. Dogs
> - St Bernards - slobbering sweet -
> Chiwawa (sp?) nasty Ever notice
> that???? What's with this
> "password" ??? Guess I
> missed something. Jeanne
> <A HREF="http://www.simmevalley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.simmevalley.com</A>
 
OP
A

Anonymous

herefords are very calm but seem to one of the "biggest" miniatures out there. Alot depends on the interaction with them also. As for size, we have some small cattle and some of the smallest ones we have are the quitest. We have crossed nearly every breed of miniature and small cattle. Every breed has a spaz animal and every one has one calm as a pussycat. The lowlines are also very quite animals but also on the larger side. We have mature animals that are 3-400 lbs and under 36 inches in a variety of colors. <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/minioxen" TARGET="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/minioxen</A>

> Doese any one know which breed of
> miniture cattle would be the most
> timmid? I want to get a pair that
> would be gentle 'roun children.

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top