Minimum wage and available jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

perda04

Reaction score
If you want to sell less of your product ( jobs ) raise the cost.

Job Creation 101

Congress raised the minimum wage again in July, a direct slam at low-skilled and young workers. The black teen jobless rate has since climbed to 50.4% from 39.2% in two months. Congress is also moving ahead with a mountain of new mandates, from mandatory paid leave to the House's health-care payroll surtax of 5.4%. All of these policy changes give pause to employers as they contemplate the cost of new hires.

perda04":2at6g4fk said:

Job Creation 101

Congress raised the minimum wage again in July, a direct slam at low-skilled and young workers. The black teen jobless rate has since climbed to 50.4% from 39.2% in two months. Congress is also moving ahead with a mountain of new mandates, from mandatory paid leave to the House's health-care payroll surtax of 5.4%. All of these policy changes give pause to employers as they contemplate the cost of new hires.

Opinions, opinions. Everybody's got one and this guy got his printed in the Wall Street Journal! ALL unemployment is up, not because of the minimum wage increase, but because of the economy. Why hire people to build something if no one is willing/able to buy it?

Opinions, opinions. Everybody's got one and this guy got his printed in the Wall Street Journal! ALL unemployment is up, not because of the minimum wage increase, but because of the economy. Why hire people to build something if no one is willing/able to buy it?

Does that mean GM and Chrysler will soon have a huge layoff since they are building products nobody wants??

TexasBred":3ei36al5 said:

Does that mean GM and Chrysler will soon have a huge layoff since they are building products nobody wants??

They have had big layoffs, though recently GM has started hiring some of their people back.

Frankie":3fzovpff said:
perda04":3fzovpff said:

Job Creation 101

Tricky ain't it. Like the chicken or the egg.

The economy gets ill because:

A. No one is hireing to build something no one is willing/able to buy.
B. It cost to much to hire someone to build something no one is willing/able to buy.
C. Because of the cost to make and hire an employee, I can't sell my product at a price anyone is willing/able to buy.
D. The consumer can't buy my product that I can't find any one to build at a price anyone is willing/able to pay because they don't have a job.

Frankie":265yhziq said:
TexasBred":265yhziq said:

They have had big layoffs, though recently GM has started hiring some of their people back.

They closed a few plants, fired the CEO, sold off Hummer, failed to sell Saturn and have given some folks long furloughs but still have twice as many people as they need based on sales only. Soon the salary czar will get it all worked out.

1982vett":l3lyjwh8 said:

B. It cost to much to hire someone to build something no one is willing/able to buy.
C. Because of the cost to make and hire an employee, I can't sell my product at a price anyone is willing/able to buy.
D. The consumer can't buy my product that I can't find any one to build at a price anyone is willing/able to pay because they don't have a job.

Most companies won't hire because the climate and trade bill and the health care bill overhang. Not too hard to figure out. It is as if employment is discouraged (cooties). I predict over a 11% rate before long. If we run into a depression, could hit into the 20-25%.

They were talking about this on a farm & ranch oriented talk radio station. Un-employement is so high but yet if you ask people in ag-related fields they can't find workers. Guess its not bad enough for them to stoop to our level yet. :roll:

Brute 23":1qukmusb said:
They were talking about this on a farm & ranch oriented talk radio station. Un-employement is so high but yet if you ask people in ag-related fields they can't find workers. Guess its not bad enough for them to stoop to our level yet. :roll:

Sounds like a communication issue in sparsely populated areas. I would apply if I knew who needed help and I was out of a job.

HerefordSire":3fspjk8b said:
1982vett":3fspjk8b said:

Most companies won't hire because the climate and trade bill and the health care bill overhang. Not too hard to figure out. It is as if employment is discouraged (cooties). I predict over a 11% rate before long. If we run into a depression, could hit into the 20-25%.

The employer mandate healthcare proposition has already had a net of negative results. If you are making a marginal profit on an employee who leaves, there is no way you are going to replace the employee.

I've really always thought the idea of a minimum wage was ludicrous, 7.15 x 40 x 52= $14872. Generally, but not always, you will get a minimum effort from someone who really doesn't care about your product or service, that is if they decide to show up. Of course if you take a course and become fluent in a foreign language you might get to be the supervisor.

newrancher":1x3dxz7v said:
I've really always thought the idea of a minimum wage was ludicrous, 7.15 x 40 x 52= $14872. Generally, but not always, you will get a minimum effort from someone who really doesn't care about your product or service, that is if they decide to show up. Of course if you take a course and become fluent in a foreign language you might get to be the supervisor.
Are you questioning the wisdom of our infallable makers of laws? :lol:
Maybe you have a little too much common sense. Maybe you sould go to one of those government run group therapy things. A little brain washing will bring you right around. :nod:

Did anyone ever think that the only winners when the minimum wage rate goes up is the government? Remember, they get a percentage of each raise. Neither the employer nor the employee benefit from the raise.

gimpyrancher":3qmjxcu7 said:
Did anyone ever think that the only winners when the minimum wage rate goes up is the government? Remember, they get a percentage of each raise. Neither the employer nor the employee benefit from the raise.

Double digit inflation would be especially good for the government - and for those already in debt past their eyeballs. It would be tragic for the elderly.

Latest posts