Miniature Donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
I have owned a Jack for 3 years now and I have the hardest time catching him. I have two jenny's that I have no problem. I am at my wits with him he is so sweet but I cannot catch him.

the one thing I know for sure is if you try and pen some cows and the jackasses will be the first in the pen. I also know that they will come running to a bucket. sometimes you just have to trap them

If you have a pen, feed the jennys and lock him out. Do this for about 3 days and I bet that he will want in the pen next time you feed.
They are wiley little critters.

My donkey is pretty evasive also. I get him called into a smaller pen and corner him. Some times it takes two people. He is halter broke and used to being handled, but he was born in the wild on the BLM. At his age, he won't change. Treats help, but he knows when you want to catch him. :mad:

32Paws":35o2s5to said:
I am going to clean his hooves, worm him etc
You hafta make being caught worth his while.. When I had horses ,any that were hard to catch were put in a small pen.. I'd go in with the bridle and walk him down,run him,make him work.. When he'd give up,I'd walk up,shove a carrot or slice of apple in his mouth and walk off.. Usually got the most amazed google eyed look :lol2:

peg4x4":2lqlf3kh said:
32Paws":2lqlf3kh said:
I am going to clean his hooves, worm him etc
You hafta make being caught worth his while.. When I had horses ,any that were hard to catch were put in a small pen.. I'd go in with the bridle and walk him down,run him,make him work.. When he'd give up,I'd walk up,shove a carrot or slice of apple in his mouth and walk off.. Usually got the most amazed google eyed look :lol2:
This works really well with horses. But my darn donkey does not care what the reward is. They have a totally different mind set than a horse. He is very "treat oriented," but not when it comes to being caught. He knows what your up to every time and prefers to go without! :lol:

Latest posts