miniature cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry folks

I am a person who raises the full sized cattle - but I am with Greg on this one.

Anyone trashing the mini category of cattle has not looked very closely at the Herf.

I am not overly familiar with all breeds of minis - but most that I have seen - tend to look like toy poodles.

Greg can state honestly that his animals are cattle and are meant to be raised for many things - and the freezer is one of those "many things".

In my opinion, Greg is correct - when speaking of Herfs - and if you look at his web site there are some darned fine (Sorry Greg) Mini Herfs there. :D

Kill one of them and put it in the freezer - it feeds a typical family of three to four quite nicely and there are no large steaks and roasts - which are going by the wayside in this day and age - but there are decent smaller roasts and steaks -which are now highly desired.

NO full sized probs for the small land owner and he gets meat that was home raised. Do we not all do this - or at least try?

One of his Mini Herfs would easily kill out at a live weight of 700 - 1100 pounds depending on how it is fed - producing at 60% (low end of the scale -and probably higher) a meat pile about 420 - 660 pounds minimum. Perfect for the smaller freezer.

Easy to keep on a real small piece of ground, very docile and easy to raise. A great way for a city worker to teach his family about where meat really comes from - and to watch in the yard/pasture.

As for the real mini stuff - good Lord! - I am a believer that they are living proof that man should not screw around with genetics just because he can.

Cute may be nice - but what a way to screw up Mom Nature!

Cheers

Bez+

Bez has said it as well as I can regarding mini herefords. For many of you who are near Denver, Colorado, miniature herefords will be there January 21st through January 25, 2009 at the National Western Stock Show. Last year we had over 200 head at the show. This year the show will be on Friday the 23rd at 8:20 AM and we will have a sale on Saturday the 24th at 2:00 PM. Come on out and look at the cattle. Once you see them, you may just have a different opinion of them.

If you are near Houston or Austin, Texas, there will be miniature Hereford Shows at the Houston Livestock Show, and the Star of Texas Show. Miniature Herefords will be at the HLSR in Houston March 13th through March 17th, 2009, and in Austin at the Star of Texas Show from March 17th through March 20th, 2009.

Come on out and look at em.

Greg

I think it would be worth looking into. I'm not that far from Austin. Thanks.

Lammie":2tzs9qb3 said:
Those are so cute!!! They look smaller than my mini donkeys! I don't know what they are good for exactly, but those guys are just too cute. :heart:

An ag exemption

I've seriously considered Dexters, or perhaps mini herefords. I have a small section of farm I have used for goats, and feeder calves. It would be perfect for the smaller calves. Problem is, most I've seen are soooo expensive, and I'm looking for a breed to fill freezers without always having to split a carcass between two families. Like someone else said on here, the exotics like alpacas drop in price, I might get one(the cow- not the alpaca). :nod:

brandonm_13":1alu0v3j said:
I've seriously considered Dexters, or perhaps mini herefords. I have a small section of farm I have used for goats, and feeder calves. It would be perfect for the smaller calves. Problem is, most I've seen are soooo expensive, and I'm looking for a breed to fill freezers without always having to split a carcass between two families. Like someone else said on here, the exotics like alpacas drop in price, I might get one(the cow- not the alpaca). :nod:
Dexters are great cattle. I started with one and ended up w 9 eating hay and 2 in the freezer. The prices for a nice cow isn't rediculously inflated like some mini breeds. They are all easy to get along with also...Big cattlemen come here and can't beleive my cows hover around my every word....they call them goats! haha but here is the kicker: the land these cattle are chewing on is all weeds.....and my cows and calves are nice and fat! The only thing i am going to do this year is add another calf to the good milkers!