Mini Pearl

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
Caustics post "bull Fight" got me to thinking about my Grandmother and about the summers I used to spend at her house.

She was having a problem with snakes getting her eggs and small chicks. She put out a ceramic egg and the next day it was gone. Being entirely displeased in not knowing whether or not the snake was dead, she devised a plan. She hollowed out an egg an threaded a fishing hook into it and tied it off to a stake. She would go out in the mornings with her 410 to blow away the catch of the day. I asked her why she didn't just use a hoe to kill'em, she said that just not near as satisfying as blowing'em away. :D There just something about the smell of gun powder in the morning. ;-)

She liked to use the shotgun for the wasp nest in the trees as well. She was one great woman!

Edited for stupid spelling error.

That sounds extremely satisfying. I need to try that with my snakes! :D

Yea she was a one of a kind type of lady. We had more fun working in the garden, clearing brush, making home made wine from Mustang Grapes. I tell you you learn to smell the grape juice before you take a big ol' gulp. That stuff would light you up all the way down to your toes. :oops:

My Grandmother beat a hawk to death with a hoe as it was trying to have chicken for dinner!

J. T.":29vmftah said:
My Grandmother beat a hawk to death with a hoe as it was trying to have chicken for dinner!

I saw a hawk grab my favorite little banty rooster in the back yard (about 10 feet from the kitchen door!) and I flew out the door, scared it off. Managed to save the rooster, who went into hiding for a few weeks but eventually recovered...I think his ego suffered more damage than anything else. But I will never forget how beautiful that hawk was, those eyes close up, what a bird! I really am fascinated with them, but I'd rather they leave my chickens alone!

when my wife was a kid her dad brought home a coyote pup. It lived with them for almost a year --One day they went to town and the pup got accidentaly locked in the house .when they came home the house was in a shambles,curtains ripped off windows ect.Her mother took the coyote outside and blew its brains out with the shotgun----and she's generally a gental women ,we all got our breaking point I quess

carl

Latest posts