Mini Jersey or other milk cows, for beef too?

Help Support CattleToday:

lesajt

Reaction score
I am looking for a Mini or heritage Jersey but am thinking maybe I could get something else instead, since I can't seem to find a reasonalbe Mini Jersey close by or lower priced. What about other breads that might be able to provide meat as well from their calves? I live in Western Colorado. I saw one person on here talking about milking other type of cows too. I want the beef and the milk but thought I would get a mini Jersey and use her milk for feeding a calf and us. The guy in Ill. wants 1800 and 300 to ship. Not sure I want to pay that when I might be able to find a nice cow and calf pair at an auction and milk her already vs buying and raising a calf then waiting until the mature and bred and freshen. I dont need one right now but will be moving soon and when we get settled I want a milk cow, but onloy have over onbe acre but can hay feed too. Thoughts?

As I mentioned in your other thread, I've got a crossbred mini jersey/Milking Shorthorn for sale. Just my two cents though, if I were looking, it would be money ahead to find a bred heifer at a dairy auction that can be trained to milk. That way you don't have to wait that long.

Agree with francis in that you would be best served to buy a bred heifer. With the milk price where it is you should be able to pick up a decent critter for a reasonable price. What breed you go for is completely up to you. You will get beef from any breed.

We have Jersey cattle and have eaten many a jersey steer over the years. My husband breeds our cows AI. Some to Angus and some to Jersey for replacement heifers. Although our daughter's cow, Star, had a bull this year. He is a steer and will end up on the table. The dairy meat is a finer grain and delicious.

I bought Milking Shorthorn semen and we are going to try that cross on a couple of the cows.

I would steer clear of the mini-Jerseys. They are cute, but they cost an arm and two legs for what you get.
Normal Jersey cattle aren't that big compared to other breeds. You can always make cheese out of your extra milk, save the cream and make butter, or raise more than one calf while getting milk for yourself.

I hope that your dream comes true quickly.

Ok Thanks. Yeah I am going to make cheese from the cow and the goats and butter and cream and put a calf or two on her and share the milk. I also hope I can BARTER with same neighbors for honey, meat, hay, etc for what I have. Maybe get a couple pigs to give the whey to. I am so ecxited and can't wait. Wish our house would sell soon. I think I will re-think the whole "mini" thing. I have never AI'ed a cow but seen it done a few times. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Should not be a big problem.

Pigs are good. We fed our pigs whole milk and corn (let it soak overnight). The combo made some delicious pork.

I don't know what your plans are, however if you are considering bartering or selling your milk products, you should check the laws in your area. I know that in our state, a person selling raw milks products has to have a grade A dairy, apermit and be inspected. There are people who sell without a permit, but I think that they are playing with fire. All it takes is one person to say that their milk made them sick and end up getting fined and the pants sued off of them. If you are hand milking, you have no way of proving that the cow didn't step in the bucket.

Concerning AI. It is not something a person can learn by seeing another person do it. Look into attending an AI school if you are planning to breed your cow yourself. The initial expense will be your education and a tank to store the semen. Or you can find a technician who will breed the cow and provide or store your semen for you.

Good points. I know iherer in Colorado a person cannot sell whole milk but you can co-op it. I am not sure about bartering or giving it away. I wonder how one would protect themsleves from a law suit if someone did get sick? I wonder about doing an LLC; If that would protect me from a law suit? Ok thanks.

lesajt":17a71j71 said:
I have never AI'ed a cow but seen it done a few times. I will cross that bridge when I get there. Should not be a big problem.

Central/Eastern Coloradan here. I know of plenty of guys, including myself, that custom A.I., but in your part of the world, they don't seem to be as common. If you can, go to sales and other cattle related events and ask around. Lotta guys will be willing to A.I. for you. Or, you can also attend A.I. school, as Chippie said. Harold Miller at Akron, Colorado is one of the best, if not the best, in the business. He trained both my former and current judging coaches, and trained me this year. If you want to A.I. on your own, he's the man to get in contact with.
http://7triangle7.com/

Where are you on the western slope? We just moved from there and have some contacts that could be helpful to you. We were in Hotchkiss, about 70 miles south of Grand Junction. We also had a friend that had a miniature Jersey, in Crawford, but I don't know if they still have her or not.

Randi Miller
www.millermlar.com

We live in Fruita right now and need to sell our house first but we have a contingent contract on a house and a little land in Cedaredge. I will get back to you if/when I need more info. thanks Randi. Thanks to everyone...getting some good advice.
Lesa

Latest posts