Mini donkeys as herd guardians?

Help Support CattleToday:

oakrunfarm

Reaction score
As I mentioned on my other thread, we're new cattle owners and will have only a small herd of no more than 6-8 (all cows/calves/young stock - no bulls). Right now, we have a weaned heifer, a yearling heifer and a bred 2 year old. All are Belted Galloways.

The neighbor across from us had a coyote attack in September. One goat was killed and one was badly injured. (She doesn't have cattle.) Her stock dog - I think it is an Anatolian shepherd - was in an adjacent pasture with the billy, so could not help.

Does anyone have any experience using mini donkeys as herd guardians? I really do not want to get a dog. I know it is not typical of stock dogs at all, but this lady's dog across from us is a royal pain. It is not well-trained. (She admits this is true.) It harrasses her stock and barks at us all of the time even though we are well away from it on our OWN property. It's an obnoxious thing!

Our pasture is just across from hers, and I know if we got a herd dog, her stupid dog would bark non-stop at ours, and I just don't want to deal with that. She has now gotten ANOTHER dog to put in the pasture that the coyotes killed the goat in because the one dog won't do its job. She has six goats on five acres, and two guard dogs.

We don't have predators here larger than medium-sized coyotes and small bobcats, but I worry about calves getting attacked - especially now that we know we have a problem in this area. Is a mini donkey jennet tough enough to handle coyotes and bobcats? (We've had horses for 20+ years, but they are show horses and stay in the barn at night.)

Thanks for any help/tips!

Thanks bobby!

Do you keep them in with the cattle even during calving season? (I read somewhere this is not a good idea, but it seems to me that would be the BEST time to have them in there to keep predators away.)

Are yours jacks or jennys?

Jacks and jenny's are donkeys and burros. Mules are mules because a mule is all they will ever be. Maybe the little mini mules will work, but mules in general won't, John mules can be mean biteing and kicking cows, and mare mules have been known to take little calves away from there mother. Coyotes are a lot less problem with cows than goats.

the mini donk might work.but im not really sure about that.i know 2 things though.you do not want to put a jack in with cows.because he will most likely kill the calves.an you only want to use jennies to guard.an only 1 jenny in the pasture.because if 2 theyll hang togather an wont guard the cattle.i would watch the jenny round the cattle at calving time.if she claims a calf pen her off.that could be a prob.

Thanks all. I had read the jennys were better and not to use a jack.

Red bull, thanks. I was not sure of the terms for mules. I am forever trying to explain the differences between colt, filly and foal, so I get where you are coming from. (Some people even think a pony is just a young horse.)

What about putting one bred jenny in there? And do I take her out during calving or when she has her foal? Maybe I'd better hit a mini donk forum!

I am glad to hear coyotes are not as much of a problem with cattle, but someone was in the feed store last month talking about having lost a calf to one, so I want to try and minimize the chance of our having that happen.

We had a problem last spring with packs of dogs running amuck. They finally ran a group of about 20 - 30 head smooth over/through a brand new barbed wire fence. Since I don't live at that property, I really couldn't spend the night out there with a shotgun. I had heard all the donkey stories before, and finally was desperate enough to try it. I could only find a young jack on short notice. He started out doing a fabulous job. I even witnessed him running a neighbor dog off at such a pace the poor dog was about to have a panic attack! But all good things come to an end, I guess, and the donkey finally grew up. Apparantly testosterone levels turned him into a mean little butthead! He started every day by picking on one of the young heifers. Chasing and biting. We had one calf down that ended up dying. We aren't absolutely sure he was to blame, but that was the final straw. Off he went. And good ridance! Hope you have better luck!

Mini donkey? A good dog or two would pull it down in a heart beat if determined. They will only stand and fight for a bit then run - thats' what gets them killed.

Donkeys love to kick the living crap out of calves at times as well. Heck there have been some serious coyote attacks on people and one person killed in Canada this year - I know for a fact I could run a mini donkey off with a club - maybe even a full sized one - dogs need bullets for the real solution - or bigger herd dogs.

Or better - decent momma cows.

Rather shoot a donkey than have it on my place now.

Some folks have good luck - but anything small in this country - a determined dog pack - wild or feral will do it in real quick in my opinion - probably a waste of money.

Bez+

We have a standard jack as a herd guardian. He was a little aggressive at first, he tried stomping a calf and chased our heeler out of the pasture, but once we got him castrated, he's been great. We haven't seen any of the stray dogs that used to hang out in the back pasture.

Don't use miniatures. They are too small. You need a standard donkey. Both jennies and gelding will stomp small animals. It is best to get one that grew up with cattle.

I've owned donkeys for 35 years and can say that how well the donkey works, depends on the donkey. Our daughter raises Dorper sheep (200 ewes). They tried a donkey, but it was too unreliable. The donkey only did it job when it felt like it.

She now has a Great Pyrenees dog that lives with the sheep. He is gentle with people that he knows, but he is not a pet. He stays with the sheep and only comes up to the back fence by the house to eat.

If you are concerned about coyotes, I would go with a dog. A dog is more territorial about protecting it's home and critters than a donkey. We have donkeys and a Great Pyrenee dog (Bernie) also. The coyotes do not bother our stock because of the dog. I have a sheep that runs with the cattle and Bernie stays with the cows and sheep. I can't trust our jennies not to stomp calves, so they are in a different pasture.

Don't judge all dogs by your neighbor's. The dog wasn't trained right.

Good luck.

oakrunfarm":149awzjn said:
Her stock dog - I think it is an Anatolian shepherd - was in an adjacent pasture with the billy, so could not help.

I know it is not typical of stock dogs at all, but this lady's dog across from us is a royal pain. It is not well-trained. (She admits this is true.) It harrasses her stock and barks at us all of the time even though we are well away from it on our OWN property. It's an obnoxious thing!

It's doubtful that her dog is an Anatolian Sheperd. They are the most gentle dogs towards livestock that I have ever seen. I've never seen it harass our animals. As for the training? The Anatolians know what to do...

We actually run 2 jennies with the cows and have for 7 years.
Absolutely no problems and no predator loss. Very protective - they need to be with THEIR cows. :lol:

Coyotes are rampant here now and their attacks are becoming more agressive. Friends have two big Pyranees have lost over 20 sheep in daylight attacks. They asked to buy one of our jennies. Not for sale.

Coyote packs are luring pet dogs ( some very large ) away from folks houses for the pack to attack once isolated.

Neat thing is - the neighbours know their dogs are dead meat if they let em run into the donks pasture, so it solves that problem as well. I'd like to see a small pack take on 800 pounds ( 2 X 400 ) of growling hooves and teeth.

But like everything else, your results may vary.

My donkeys do great with our cattle. I leave them together year round. I did have my Jack cut so that took a bit of spirit out of him. He is much gentler and doesnt chase the calves like he once did. They definately defend the cattle against any outside predators including my neighbors dogs who had to be convinced by a hoof to the head. What is your location ? I might be willing to give away a guard donkey or two....

Basil would run off anything, dogs or people. He was a llama and he was very protective of everything here. If a strange vehicle came in the yard he would go crazy , one time he managed to get the gate unlocked when a salesman showed up unannounced and Basil had him high tailing to his car with great urgency and he did claw the side of his vehicle..I had to put a sign up" beware of the Llama" :lol2: I never felt insecure when I was alone on the place knowing that he had my back Sadly he died this year, he was a great guard animal for me, and the cattle, he got along well with my dogs and cat as well, but if you were a stranger, you were done.

I think their can be great protectors out there in many different breeds and some just are not meant to be ..

BTW Basil was very gentle with all children for some reason, they could do whatever they wanted; but an adult, no one but me could get close to him..

hillsdown":1fpnw51s said:
Basil would run off anything, dogs or people.
Basil had a soul brother here in Ontario, was so good at keeping strange dogs and folks out of his area that some coward shot him in the middle of the night.

My cousin got a gelded jack to "protect" his cattle from coyotes. After a while he wound up running/kicking the cows all over the pasture. He slowed him down with a length of logging chain, but realized he wasn't worth the trouble.

He has a pyrenees dog now.

The mules I was talking about are mare mules and I do know the difference between a Mule and Donkey. I have 30 Brood cows with calves and the Mules do great with the calves. I leave them in year around and a dog better not come close to entering the field with the cattle. The mules stay with the calves and actially keep them together when something strange enters the field. They have been great baby sitters for the last 3 years and I wouldnt take nothing for them.

Thank you all so much. This is really helpful information to have.

I just REALLY don't want to get a dog – even though I am sure that would be a better bet as far as protection goes. We were out every day over the holiday putting up the run-in for the cattle, and the neighbor's stupid Anatolian Shepherd barked at us the whole time, and we were not anywhere near her property. (I am sure that is completely unlike most dogs of that breed. The thing is a nut case.)

We've got a Jack Russell Terrier and a Doberman. They are not stock dogs, but they are smart enough to know not to bark at dogs or people working on their own darned property! I know her simple dog would bark at any dog we got non-stop, and I am not going to have that. I'd rather go with some kind of stock. Her dummy dog only barked at our cattle for the first day or two.

Arkcowman, we are in NC, so probably a bit far away, but thank you for the offer! It sounds to me like it might be best to find a donk that is part of a herd that is already in with cattle so they will know what the deal is. Hm tncattle, a llama? Aren't they kind of disagreeable in general? I don't know much about them.

Sounds like I am going to have to do some more homework. We are only going to have a very small herd – like 6-8 max – on 20 acres, so it's not a big job. Thanks again all.

As small as your place is, your own dogs should keep the coyotes away, unless they can't get your pasture. Mother cows are very protective.

The only reason we have a GP is because our daughter was given him as a pet.

If you do get a donkey, watch it carefully. Regardless of what sex it is, some will kill a calf. That is why we NEVER turn cows that have a young calf out in the pasture with the donks (2 jennets).

Putting a anything on it to slow it down defeats your purpose.