Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I don't know why my cows won't eat a loose mineral. They eat salt blocks and mineral blocks but don't hardly touch loose mineral. any of you seen this

plbcattle":287pdvfd said:
I don't know why my cows won't eat a loose mineral. They eat salt blocks and mineral blocks but don't hardly touch loose mineral. any of you seen this

If it is high-quality, they require far less of it.

And it may take time to get them used to it, especially if you still feed minerials and salt in blocks as you did before.

We are definately converts to loose product, and we change our minerial program as it is required, ie: brood cow minerial pack for bred cattle, grower minerial pack for feeders etc.

The guys I know with many years of experience told me when I had this problem - "You gota take the salt blocks away". Tried it and it worked - The don't like high-mag as well but will take it if nothing else is available. :)

If the cows wont eat one type of mineral change brands and try something different. We have tried a half dozen different minerals before finding one the cows like.

pat

When we feed loose mineral to the breds, we mix it 1:1 with loose salt. Otherwise they won't touch the mineral. Oh, and we take all the salt blocks away from them at that same time.

Take care.

Latest posts