Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
Just what type of minerals does everyone feed their cattle. Everyone talks up just how important this is, so what is your opinion on what the most needed mineral is to supplement?

It depends on where you live, and what they are eating, what time of the year it is, and what type of cattle...Heifers, old cows, bred, about to be bred, etc. I wish they just had centrum silver for old girls and centrum jr. for not real old girls! Right now, my calves that are in the lot are eating hay, silage, corn and DDG's they are getting a high calcium mineral. The girls that are bred in the corn stubble, are gettin high cal, selineum, and phos. See what others in your area feed. Your feed supplier should be able to help, or a nutritionalist.

You can check with your ag extension office.. a lot of what your cattle require will depend on time of year, and where you live. We switch formulas about 3 - 4 times year depending on the pasture conditions. Right now we feed high magnesium because they're on rye and clover.

The guys at the feedstore told me that the higher the selinium the better. It helps the girls breed back faster.

bubchub":2skw98qf said:
The guys at the feedstore told me that the higher the selinium the better. It helps the girls breed back faster.
Better check with someone besides the" guys at the feed store."

la4angus":888txloh said:
bubchub":888txloh said:
Better check with someone besides the" guys at the feed store."
You can poison cows with selenium. Some(what they need)is good. Way too much-not so good. Some places have almost enough in the soil,other places need more supplemented. LA4 is right. You need better advice than the guy at the feed store.

Get your soil/hay tested first of all. Each area is different for needs in minerals.

Who does this . County exent agent. Some feed companies. Cargil, Conagra(well they are mostly out of that now), and others.

But I will say go for a chelated version in your mineral you need. Then during the year when they aren't needing a heavy requirement you can go with a non chelated version.

Latest posts