Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
Question we have had an exceptional wet year seems I can't keep enough minerals out this year. We have bought more minerals this summer than we typically buy in a year. Have any of yall ran into this one before.

Yes. When you get a lot of rain it leaches the minerals out of the grass and the soil so you have to replace it with supplements.

What kind of mineral do you use, Campground? I haven't noticed any big difference, but I blend enough salt with mine to make them eat the amount of mineral that I want them to have. Now, since they're craving more salt, I'm mixing about half white stock salt with a triple 12 mineral to keep them eating 3-4 oz/day of the mineral.

Texan":1zpdhish said:
What kind of mineral do you use, Campground? I haven't noticed any big difference, but I blend enough salt with mine to make them eat the amount of mineral that I want them to have. Now, since they're craving more salt, I'm mixing about half white stock salt with a triple 12 mineral to keep them eating 3-4 oz/day of the mineral.

Using Triple 12 also and salt blocks they are eating 100 lbs a week Lone Star brand, 21 cows that used to last a month.

Campground Cattle":370f7fqf said:
......they are eating 100 lbs a week...
Yeah, it does sound like you've got a Hell of a problem. That's over 10oz/hd/day. Is that what you're saying?

Texan":154hoevy said:
Campground Cattle":154hoevy said:
......they are eating 100 lbs a week...
Yeah, it does sound like you've got a Hell of a problem. That's over 10oz/hd/day. Is that what you're saying?

Yeah but everybody is fat and healthy looking, this kicked in a couple of weeks ago. I have never had them get after the minerals this way. As in our pm you know my pasture situation this year. Its finally coming back from the spring floods. 25 head counting Bull and calves right now. Pic enclosed that I took this afternoon.

Aug26013.jpg
[/img]

I'll have to admit that looks pretty good for the end of August!
Your Whites seem to be doing good, too.

Over the years it has alwasy seemed like during the most rapid growth of the grass is when the mineral consumption goes up. A couple of weeks ago we hadn't had much rain and th pastures were mostly older growth grass, minerals would last a couple of weeks. We've had 5 inches in the past week or so, you can almost hear the grass grow. The cows have really started sucking up the minerals again. It seems like this has pretty much been the scenerio every year. When they went to hay in the past the minerals looked like they were being untouched. It sure wasn;t because the mineral content was any higher in the hay since it came off of the same pastures as they had grazed.

dun

Latest posts