minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

snickers

Reaction score
have any of you ever heard of cow's not consuming minerals? we put loose minerals out and nobody would touch it, the lady at the ag store said that this mineral was the best seller. Our cow's are in pretty good shape so maybe they don't need them? If we put out a protein tub they will eat that but not the loose mineral.

snickers":1wemifkc said:
have any of you ever heard of cow's not consuming minerals? we put loose minerals out and nobody would touch it, the lady at the ag store said that this mineral was the best seller. Our cow's are in pretty good shape so maybe they don't need them? If we put out a protein tub they will eat that but not the loose mineral.

Right...they may not need it. If this is their best seller try to talk with some other folks that are using it and make sure their cattle are eating. You can force feed it by adding something like cottonseed meal or dried molasses to it to make it taste better but that would just be a waste if they don't need it.

How easy is it for them to figure out how to get to? We have one of those feeders that the cow has to lift the rubber lid on. We had to show one of the cows how to do it and now all of them have caught on.

we put it in a bunk feeder to begin with and they all smelled it and maybe one stuck her tongue in it but they all left it alone. we have put it in open tubs and they just leave it alone, tried it on some grain and they didn't want to eat that but the hog's of the bunch ate it bcuz they just can't help themselves. I gave up on the minerals and just have a salt block. all the cow's look good and in good body condition for having 3 month old calves on their sides so I won't worry about it. thanks for the input and you all have a great memorial weekend.

If we put out a protein tub they will eat that but not the loose mineral.[/quote]

What is the difference between the tub and loose mineral? Why not try a different " flavor/brand" of mineral?

Kingfisher":1mpbi8wn said:
If we put out a protein tub they will eat that but not the loose mineral.

What is the difference between the tub and loose mineral? Why not try a different " flavor/brand" of mineral?[/quote]

Tubs are molasses based so cattle will eat them because they taste good. That too is a waste if you're feeding a protein tub and the cattle don't really need protein supplementation. There are some tubs that are relatively low in protein but very highly fortified with vitamins and minerals and sold as such. That might work well for you. I wouldn't go with "salt block only".

Cattle can do well without mineral suppliment ----- for a while. Then, slowly, you will start having "subtle" problems - things you won't notice until they snowball. All cattle need mineral suppliment and salt blocks - even the mineral salt blocks - can NEVER give them the needed minerals.

I have been using a high phosphate mineral for several years. This spring I put 85 lbs P on one pasture as per soil test. The cattle grazed this pasture the most and the mineral consumption is almost gone. I can understand how some could get away with no mineral if everything the cow needs is already available through the grass. The one thing that you have to remember is that trace elements are just as important and sometimes you don't get those results with the soil report. General health and fertility can be affected by the lack of trace elements so I leave the mineral out year round.

novatech":3qchw5x7 said:
I have been using a high phosphate mineral for several years. This spring I put 85 lbs P on one pasture as per soil test. The cattle grazed this pasture the most and the mineral consumption is almost gone. I can understand how some could get away with no mineral if everything the cow needs is already available through the grass. The one thing that you have to remember is that trace elements are just as important and sometimes you don't get those results with the soil report. General health and fertility can be affected by the lack of trace elements so I leave the mineral out year round.
Pretty cheap insurance my friend. :clap:

snickers said:
have any of you ever heard of cow's not consuming minerals? we put loose minerals out and nobody would touch it, the lady at the ag store said that this mineral was the best seller. Our cow's are in pretty good shape so maybe they don't need them? If we put out a protein tub they will eat that but not the loose mineral.[/quo

Have you been using any minerals? If not I'd start with a mix that was about 25% salt.
No other salt, blocks or loose. That works here. They'll go to it. Sometimes of year they won't consume as much as other periods.

fitz.

snickers":34wade1x said:
we put it in a bunk feeder to begin with and they all smelled it and maybe one stuck her tongue in it but they all left it alone. we have put it in open tubs and they just leave it alone, tried it on some grain and they didn't want to eat that but the hog's of the bunch ate it bcuz they just can't help themselves. I gave up on the minerals and just have a salt block. all the cow's look good and in good body condition for having 3 month old calves on their sides so I won't worry about it. thanks for the input and you all have a great memorial weekend.

I'd try a different brand of loose minerals. My local Feed store has three types of minerals, and my cows will not eat one of the cheaper ones. They love the "Wind and Rain", ofcourse - spoiled cows like the expensive stuff.

Seriously, I'd study the guaranteed analysis on the mineral tag and go from there - maybe try another brand. Not all loose minerals are the same, but compare the tagged guaranteed analysis to make sure your getting what you need.

Latest posts