Minerals!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I like your post and I can tell you "it's worth it."
I still have my first customer from 1994. He's not in it to buy mineral as the "thing" to do.
My customers are pretty much from SE Montana. They use mineral because it makes them money, not because they like me.

One customer told me "when doing my taxes, my accountant noted that the mineral column was quite long, but the veterinary column was quite empty." Producers are getting older and who has the time or inclination to have to doctor sick cattle? Feeding a quality mineral keeps cattle healthy. We went from doctoring 95% of our calves, and many more than once, BEFORE we got on a mineral program. From there we went to basically doctoring nothing. At the most we bought the smallest bottle of antibiotic and wound up throwing some of it away because it got old. Our customers report doing the same.

85-90% breed up in 45 days is not uncommon. One customer only keeps bull with his replacement heifers for 22 days. He sells very few opens.

Simme, you said "red tinged hair". We had that big time. We tried everything to figure out why. No one had the answer; not veterinarians, not feed salesmen, not universities, not county agents. I contacted them all. No one knew. We even moved across Montana to try and help ourselves. We were about to quit. Long story short, the Vigortone mineral Area Sales Manger came and he knew immediately what was wrong. The 'red tinged hair' is a sign of copper deficiency and we had it big time. We got on the mineral program and changed our life. Those pictures he took that day are used in a before and after slide show. What an eye opener.

One more thing, if you don't feed mineral, you are walking a tightrope and anything could make you fall. That's what happened to us. We bought some registered cows that calved the end of January. The first cow that calved in that bunch, the calf got sick and from then on 95% of our calves got sick and had to be doctored; many more than once. They had no immune system. Believe me when I say, mineral enhances immune system of cattle. We also found out later, like 5 years later, from John Patterson at MSU, that they had done testing where we were and there were sulfates in the water, which ties up copper and zinc. So, those cows we bought brought something in. We were NOT on a mineral program and the calves got sick. That went on for 8 years! We were about to quit; but we moved. First calving season at the new place, the calves got sick. From getting a high fever, then they would get sours, diptheria, over-eating, pneumonia, they got anything and everything. We were devastated. So the next year 1994, we were introduced to Vigortone mineral. What a difference that made and it made it that same year. We were never without it since.

This is a testimony and meant as such. Sorry it got so lengthy.
I'm shocked you had to talk to so many people to figure out you had copper deficiency. That was in multiple 100 level classes at college. I mix my own mineral for the range with a small cement mixer. I was having retained placentas, and needed more magnesium in my mineral than what companies had in there offerings. I reversed engineered my mineral with more premium ingredients, and doing the math I was shocked at the mineral companies profit margins.

I'm shocked you had to talk to so many people to figure out you had copper deficiency. That was in multiple 100 level classes at college. I mix my own mineral for the range with a small cement mixer. I was having retained placentas, and needed more magnesium in my mineral than what companies had in there offerings. I reversed engineered my mineral with more premium ingredients, and doing the math I was shocked at the mineral companies profit margins.
FH and her husband are friends of ours and have actually been on our ranch. I find it in bad taste that some of you are taking cheap shots at her because her business is partially selling mineral. I would suggest that many salespeople don't last long at their endeavour because they might not be one of God's most noble children. She has been doing this successfully for many years and many of her customers have been with her from the start.

A business is a business, do you all do what you do for nothing or do you make money with your day jobs?

FH and her husband are friends of ours and have actually been on our ranch. I find it in bad taste that some of you are taking cheap shots at her because her business is partially selling mineral. I would suggest that many salespeople don't last long at their endeavour because they might not be one of God's most noble children. She has been doing this successfully for many years and many of her customers have been with her from the start.

A business is a business, do you all do what you do for nothing or do you make money with your day jobs?
FH never said what she sells. She was even asked what she sells and did not reply to that question. What she did was share information and experience which she has obtained in years of selling minerals. It would be nice if people here share information in an attempt of improving the cattle business of others.

The sharing of ideas is happening. We have views and questions from all viewpoints on this topic, form the most expensive option to the least. Questioning is what has led each and every one here to do what they are doing. Members that haven't chimed in on this particular thread that are very successful, don't even use mineral, and have great conception rates and weaning weights but to even suggest that, one might nearly get vilified. Although the low end extreme only works for a few, why count it out? The idea needs to be there to make an informed decision.

I have no problem with fh and her business. It just comes down to paying for convenience, in our feedlot I pay for the convenience of mixed mineral. When I was needing to mix more stuff into my mineral I lost most of the convenience factor. In my book there is nothing wrong with doing stuff "in house". With the copper thing, I really thought it was fairly widely known; As it's a common deficiency many places.

Bob you can be sure the vitamins came from China. Minerals have many sources. Seriously doubt the mineral manufacturer could even determine the source without a lot of research
Yes. I made a blanket statement that was incorrect. It's the vitamins that are absolutely china origin. If any of you remember, there was a fire or something in a factory 2-3-4 years ago and mineral prices went thru the roof.
and for what it's worth, I'm chocolate cow. I've posted for years on this board until it changed format. My password was never accepted so I made a new account and started from scratch...BobDole was re-born!
And I am not bashing FHs in any way, shape or form. She's been very helpful in answering questions. She's not responsible for what comes on ships from China or what's dumped into those bags before it reaches the point of sale.

Does anyone put out protein tubs along with mineral when out on dry mountain roughage or poor quality grass? I switched from tubs to loose mineral a few years back but have wondered if I should keep a few tubs out especially in drought conditions just for added protein or maybe there is something better...idk

Does anyone put out protein tubs along with mineral when out on dry mountain roughage or poor quality grass? I switched from tubs to loose mineral a few years back but have wondered if I should keep a few tubs out especially in drought conditions just for added protein or maybe there is something better...idk

I use protein tubs in the winter. Maybe I would during a drought if the grass was brown .

I agree with putting out protein tubs when grass is brown. The grass is sending all its energy to the roots to survive (not up in the stalks and leaves anymore) and the cattle will not get as much per mouthful. Also now they have to walk more to get what they need which taxes their body conditioning. The protein tubs will help them maintain body condition. There is a break point where the cost outways the benefit. This is something highly subjective and is a personal decision for each farm to consider. It's not a one size fits all scenario for any of us!

You may look into salt limiting a different protein supplement, if there is good access to water. Depending on the volume of protein you need it may or may not make since.

I had read on here before where you should put loose salt and mineral out together.

Would there be a scenario where you would maybe cut the salt to increase your mineral intake?
Salt in mineral can go either way add salt or remove it even totally by going to a salt less mineral until you get the intake you want. It will depend a lot on your specific conditions and water.

My question isn't whether too put out loose minerals it is how to compare minerals so I can get the best results at the most economical price. I feel Vita Ferm is a top mineral but cost is making it hard too justify on a year round basis, We are trying a Nutrition Plus product this summer. It has garlic oil in it. May go back to Concept Aid this winter unless I can find an comparable product that is cheaper. Tried Vigortone 3 years ago and wasn't satisfied with it. May try Purina wind and rain if I'm not satisfied with the results of the Nutrition Plus mineral we are trying,

I use wind and rain mainly because it doesn't turn to concrete when it gets wet. Old habit from when was on the coast. Here I don't minerals year round because of my relationship with B. I feed his and my cows in the winter. Wind and rain works good in the winter. Once they go to pasture B supplies the minerals and there isn't enough rain to turn them into concrete.

I keep tubs out, primarily because we haven't been able to burn in years and the grass is not the best quality, lots of weeds.

My only issue with wind and rain is that the tubs are soft, and apparently are very tasty. -2 head cleaned up a 125 lb tub in 2 1/2 months, on good grass. they look awesome, but for the cost, that was a bit fast.

Calc
My only issue with wind and rain is that the tubs are soft, and apparently are very tasty. -2 head cleaned up a 125 lb tub in 2 1/2 months, on good grass. they look awesome, but for the cost, that was a bit fast.
My only issue with wind and rain is that the tubs are soft, and apparently are very tasty. -2 head cleaned up a 125 lb tub in 2 1/2 months, on good grass. they look awesome, but for the

Latest posts