Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I read a couple of articles and one mentioned to feed minerals free choice, the other mentioned mixing them with feed. Is there a correct method? I have been using Purina Wind and Rain complete 7 with Altisid. I just put my Herfords on green pasture and was going to switch to High Mag, any suggestions?
:?:

lancemart":1l6qyc4i said:
I read a couple of articles and one mentioned to feed minerals free choice, the other mentioned mixing them with feed. Is there a correct method? I have been using Purina Wind and Rain complete 7 with Altisid. I just put my Herfords on green pasture and was going to switch to High Mag, any suggestions?
=======
lancemart,

There is another thread with extensive comments on this subject just a couple weeks ago...you may wish to give that a try....for a quick reference.

lancemart":3tgp6ivb said:

If you have your cattle on Pastures, Mixing a mineral would be a waste of money, cause you don't need to feed. But we keep minerals out free choice. I'm not advertising for anyone, but check out Sweetlix.com, I'm hooked on their minerals. And they beat a lot of other companies to pieces with their prices, and quality.Sweetlix has a Copperhead Hi-mag, with "Rain Gauard" that in my opinion can not be beat. They also have Altosid and Raybon minerals as well.

I put mine out free choice as well, mixed 50/50 with stock salt. The salt appears to keep the cows coming to feeder and allows for a controlled intake.

On the same subject, how do you chose your minerals? Why would you want to go to a High Mag? Does you soil test indicate you are low in Mag? Just curious, I try to match my minerals to the soil test results which shows I need high phors. and calcium. Not sure if this is right or wrong, just the way I do it.

if you have lots of clover it has more mag than grass. i 've checked different minerals made in the area & all are different, so every now & then i switch brands so they get different types fo minerals they may lack

Latest posts