Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Just curious as to who uses what, and in what geographical areas.

Anybody using the newer Cargill "Right Now" minerals?

How about the ADM/Moorman's "Mastergain with Endo-fighter" line?

I use Mooremans and have had great results. Used to use a general all purpose switched and saw a big increase in weights and breedback is the biggest result. Have had to really watch to keep my cows calving in the spring. Had two the first year, been on the stuff 6 months calve and recalve 10 months later. The majority calved 11 months later. All within a year. Have a buddy uses the right now program and he swears the same way about it. Both seem to be tops for producers I know using it. I also have had good luck with my cows not over eating it. Some ate a lot at first because they needed it. Calves like it also.

Scotty

So you are using the Endo-fighter line then?

I have heard it is a really good product.

Hi-phos version. Two resons:
1. High calcium soils
2. Phosphorus to breed back better.

No antibiotics or additives of that kind. Did have an outbreak of scours and jacked up the mineral feeder were the calves could not get at it and put a Sweetlicks with rumenson out. Only do this if not participating in an all natural program. Really not sure if it is called the Endo-fighter line. Will check. Just say I want Mooremans High-phos.

Scotty

El_Putzo":1gcubias said:
Just curious as to who uses what, and in what geographical areas.

Anybody using the newer Cargill "Right Now" minerals?

How about the ADM/Moorman's "Mastergain with Endo-fighter" line?

Using Cargill Right Now right now.

jerry27150":z0fjfky9 said:
i use M F A super ten

Jerry,

That's what we are currently using. I think I am going to try to convince my dad to give the Cargill program a try just to see if there is any difference. The main difference I can tell for sure is that the Super 10 doesnt contain any magnesium and if I'm not mistaken, magnesium is critical in helping the cows get bred back faster. Besides, it's almost the same price, just a little less convenient to get since the cargill dealer is 15 miles away and my dad works at the local MFA. Thanks for the input.

Lately, have been using Purina's Wind and Rain product(s).

El_Putzo":2r0395ad said:
The main difference I can tell for sure is that the Super 10 doesnt contain any magnesium
Would definitely recommend using a magnesium containing mineral supplement product, especially in the Spring.

had a show on R F D last night on cargil right now minerals. one has an altosid IGR that kills the horn flies in manure & doesn't bother the dung beatles. don't know of any place around here that sells dthem though. have to check around more

jerry27150":3w1py5n4 said:
had a show on R F D last night on cargil right now minerals. one has an altosid IGR that kills the horn flies in manure & doesn't bother the dung beatles. don't know of any place around here that sells dthem though. have to check around more

That was the same program I watched. They aired it on sunday night as well.

jerry27150":wuczdg7v said:
one has an altosid IGR that kills the horn flies in manure & doesn't bother the dung beatles.

Doesn;t kill them. Retards their growth so that they don't become adults. Same thing that Rabon does, and I'm sure a host of others. Just goes about it in a differetn way

dun

dun":16fkmi9y said:
jerry27150":16fkmi9y said:
one has an altosid IGR that kills the horn flies in manure & doesn't bother the dung beatles.

Doesn;t kill them. Retards their growth so that they don't become adults. Same thing that Rabon does, and I'm sure a host of others. Just goes about it in a differetn way

dun

My mineral salesman told me that Rabon is broad spectrum and will stop most any insect larvae from maturing, while Altosid is horn fly specific. He sells both, so I hope I can believe him.

jerry27150":3ozc0d50 said:
just found my closest dealer is in iowa, 60 miles away

Where do you go to find a dealer. I found Large scale dealers. Alittle out of my leauge. And can you buy this stuff and mix it in your own mineral.

Scotty

What is the ideal way to choose the correct mineral mix? I mean do I use soil samples, grass anaylis, cattle age , weather conditions ,neighbor advice, widgee board , dowzer sticks ect?
I hear people say they are using some brand and it works well for them. What are they looking at to say that the brand mineral they are using is working well?

Update:

I found the MFA website (http://www.mfa-inc.com/livestock/beef/index.asp) and looked at their mineral program. It looks like they have similar products to the Cargill Right Now line. I guess it pays to do a little snooping around. I think we can get what we need close to home, and a little cheaper than Cargill too.

One thing to note: My local MFA man told me the 5% MPG that has the Rabon is no longer available. Instead they are substituting IGR in the place of Rabon which should serve the sam purpose. He didn't really say why, only that "they couldn't sell the mineral with Rabon anymore". Anyone know of any problems with Rabon???